Chapter Twenty

☁︎

Namjoon

I stood Hoseok up. I couldn't go. Nothing about me going made sense, and there was no way for me to go. What was I supposed to tell my mom? How would it affect my grades? What was even the point? I watched the clock as eight came and went. I ignored my buzzing phone, assuming it was Hoseok asking me where I was. But, even while I had all these reasons not to go, my spirits sank just a little.

I sighed and closed my text book because there was no reason to continue if I couldn't concentrate. I decided to wait a few minutes then go on. Hopefully by then I'd be ready. Scooting my chair back, I decided to head outside. My parents were both gone, where to, I didn't really know. They'd probably told me, but their words must have slipped from my mind.

When I got outside, I finally caved in and pulled out my phone. I had about fifteen texts from Hoseok. I let out a sigh as I read through them.

"Eight sharp!"
"Don't forget!"
"I'm here, where are you?"
"If you don't show we will have problems."

And others in the same context. Hoseok and I had never really been close, but for some reason he always insisted on talking to me and inviting me places, without fail, no matter how many times I declined. Which was every time.

"I told you I couldn't. Sorry. Next time." I replied.

It was another empty promise. Hoseok already knew there'd be no next time. I jumped when the phone started to ring. My eyes widened when I saw it was Hoseok. I let out a small groan, but continued down the sidewalk.

"Um...hello?" I answered unsurely.

"You wanna die, Class President?"

I let out a slight sigh of relief. At least he was maintaining his humor.

"I told you I was busy, Hoseok," I replied.

"I told you how important it was for you to come," he whined.

"I had stuff. Nex--"

"Stop! Don't say it!"

"Sorry."

"Always the same--wait a second..." Hoseok trailed off.

I tilted my head, pulling back my phone for a second to check if he'd hung up. When I put it back to my ear, Hoseok still didn't continue. I sighed, walking down the sidewalk, considering hanging up. Then I wouldn't have to keep listening to the disappointment in his voice.

"Kim Namjoon."

I looked up again, surprised. Is this the first time he's said my full name? I wondered.

"Yes...?"

"Turn around," he said.

I blinked, confused, but followed his directions.

"Um, why exactly am I-- ah."

Jung Hoseok stood in the driveway of a house across the street, along with a lot of other teenagers milling about, into and out of the house. He held up a hand, sending me a grin, that seemed to say "got you." My eyes widened and I turned away.

"Oh, what a coincidence. Um, I live in the house down the street? So..."

"So you're not actually busy?"