Chapter Thirty-Eight

☁︎

Anna

It was surprisingly easy to convince Namjoon to go to Ignis again. As soon as I mentioned the name he simply nodded and then shook his head. Then with a hesitant "fine," I grabbed my bag and dragged him back down the stairs. My mother was sad to see him go, and I knew she was going to be all over me about him later that evening, but we said our quick goodbyes and left as soon as we came.

It was strange to drive to the city in the day, as it was still only around two in the afternoon.

"Who's going to be at a nightclub in broad daylight?" I wondered aloud after a little while of silent driving.

"You'd be surprised," Namjoon replied, slightly shaking his head. "And they're probably setting up for tonight too."

"Are we allowed in there this early?" I asked him.

"Aren't you the one who wanted to go?" Namjoon asked me after a second of further silence.

"I mean, yes, but I'm sort of thinking it over now," I admitted.

He let out a snort and shook his head again.

"You're such a careful person, Anna. But you can be so abrupt at times, you know that?"

I turned to look at him.

"Well, I don't know, Class President, something about being around you has made me act more and think less I suppose," I retorted.

Silence fell over the both of us after that. An almost awkward silence. Was that flirting? I suddenly wondered in horror. Did I just flirt on accident? With Kim Namjoon? I swallowed nervously, praying he didn't notice. I dared another glance his way, but Namjoon just casually stared ahead, tapping his steering wheel to a silent beat. A sharp pang of annoyance struck me. But then I felt ridiculous. Was I really mad just because he didn't notice my slight flirting?

Shaking my head, I focused on the road ahead of us again. I was acting ridiculous.

☁︎

"This is weird," Namjoon murmured, voicing my exact thoughts.

Ignis was almost completely empty. Only a few people walked by, most looking like staff members. It was brightly lit, rather than the usual flashing club style. And it was so quiet. Almost deafeningly. So much so that Namjoon and I had adopted soft whispers of voices upon our arrival.

I felt like I was seeing the skeleton of some sort of dream. Like when you swept away the music and community, and the freedom of the night, this was all that was left. Reality.

"Yo! Can I help you?" A voice called, causing us both to flinch at the sudden loud sound.

Namjoon and I both wheeled around to see a girl around our age with short brownish hair. She was shorter than both of us and wore a large black t-shirt, along with a scowl.

"Uh, not really. We're sort of just looking around," I told her as she stopped before us.

The girl narrowed her eyes at us ever so slightly, hands placed on her hips. Her eyes slid over Namjoon too. Not in a sexual way, just more judgmental. I straightened up at this, crossing my arms and sizing her up right back. For a moment, the annoying girl and I were having a bit of a glare off. It took all I had to not look her in the eyes.