Chapter Twenty-Nine

☁︎

Anna

I was a mess the next morning. It was probably the latest I'd ever stayed up on a school night, not to mention the exhausting fight I had with my mother. Needless to say, I wasn't allowed to go anywhere after school for the rest of the month. But the thing that I was really annoyed about, was Namjoon. I'd left him alone for less than five minutes, and as soon as I'd returned, he was gone.

"I don't know, he just mumbled something then turned and left," Gloss said.

"He left? He's gone?"

Namjoon had left us to find our own ride home from the city. After a long walk then a measly train ride, we got back around two in the morning. Everyone had been visibly upset, but I'd been seething.

I sighed and sat up, grabbing my phone. I turned off the alarm and checked for any messages from Namjoon, but, as expected, he'd sent nothing. I'd texted over ten messages, all very angry and threatening. But he ignored me. I angrily threw my phone onto the sheets of my bed.

If he wanted a tutor, he would need to find someone else. At that point, I found myself thinking I never wanted to talk to him again.

☁︎

Hye chattered away as I glared at the back of Namjoon's neck. Class was about to start, but I was holding off on sitting near him for as long as possible. I wanted him to notice how angry I was, but all the geek had been doing was reading from some large English book. With every word Hye spoke, the more angry I got, and the less Namjoon seemed to care. He didn't care. He'd had his rebellious weekend, now he was done. But did he really think he could just abandon us in the city without even talking to us? Did he really believe I would keep his secret if he acted this way?

I paused. I would. I would keep his stupid secret. As rewarding as it would be to reveal it after his douche move, I felt like it wasn't even worth considering. And I also felt like if it was anyone but Namjoon, I would tell their secret. But it wasn't anyone else. So I would keep it, upset as I was.

Just as my eyes widened in realization of this, the bell rang. I groaned and slipped away from Hye's seat. I wasn't sure what she said as I left, so I simply sent her a small wave as I walked away. It was only when I'd slipped into my seat that I realized someone was missing. Slightly surprised, and immensely relieved, I sent a questioning glance to Jin's empty seat.

"Attention, class," Namjoon's deep voice was suddenly saying.

I stood and bowed with everyone, and I felt uneasy as I sat back down. Jin's absence had nothing to do with the party on Saturday. Right?

☁︎

For the rest of the day, I sent daggers to Namjoon. And for the rest of the day, he ignored me. I didn't have to contemplate going to the library at lunch, because it was only every other day that we had tutoring. It was only after classes were over that I finally had my chance to snap at him.

I leaned against the stone building, having made sure to be one of the first students out. It wasn't a very smart move strategy wise, since Namjoon would probably be one of the last students out. But I needed to prepare what I would snap at him.

"What was with your quick get away,
Geum Shin Anna? I was trying to talk to you." A vaguely familiar face was suddenly blocking my view of the people walking out of school.

I tilted my head to see past her.

"Anyway, it's good that I found you. I was wondering if you had a shirt I could borrow?" She continued. "I have this date tomorrow, and none of my tops are exciting anymore..."

"Mm," I mumbled in response.

"Really? Oh that would be amazing! You have my number right? Whatever, I have yours. Send me pictures of some your best shirts..."

I was surprised when Namjoon's tall head suddenly poked above an oncoming crowd of students. I glanced at my watch. It's only been five minutes since school let out...why's he so early?

"Yeah, yeah. Call me," I muttered to the girl, pushing past to catch up with Namjoon.

Recalling where he usually parked, I jogged there ahead of him. When I arrived, slightly breathless, I realized in annoyance that this was the first time I'd run for a boy. Shaking my head, I leaned against his door. Namjoon took his sweet time, leaving me in the open, receiving curious stares from students who must have been confused as to why I was waiting for anyone. I ignored them, finally spotting Namjoon emerge from the condensed part of parking lot.

"Took you long enough," I snapped as soon as he arrived to the car.

"Can I help you?" He mumbled, heading straight for his door.

"We need to talk," I told him, the anger returning stronger than before.

Namjoon didn't reply, instead only working on putting his key in the lock. How could he be so nonchalant about this?

"Yah," I said warningly. "You have some explaining to do, don't you think? You abandoned all of us last night? What were you thinking? You were our ride, class president!"

He didn't say anything. And I don't think I'd ever been so loud in public. I realized, as I yelled at him, that maybe I wasn't just mad at his move from last night. Maybe I was desperate. Desperate for this not to be his true self. Desperate for the smile I'd seen last night to be the real Kim Namjoon. But as he opened his car door and remained silent, I was slowly starting to believe that maybe I'd been wrong to think we could be friends. I stepped forward and slammed the door shut again. He paused.

"Yah, Kim Namjoon!"

And then Namjoon turned to face me for the first time that day. Our eyes met, and I fell silent. Because the look he held in his gaze was so tired and weak. So incredibly miserable. The light from before had been snuffed out again. I blinked and looked down for a moment, feeling a slice of guilt go through me. When I forced my eyes back to him, Namjoon had turned back to staring at his car.

"I am never going back there," he said in a low, monotone voice.

"Wha--" I began, startled at his sudden statement.

He opened the door again, forcing me to stumble back a bit to make room. Then Namjoon slid into the car seat and shut me out. I watched as he drove away, feeling a cold sensation brush past me.

Just like that, we were back to where we started.

A/N: Hey guys, once again, sorry for the slow updates!! And I know this chapter kind of sucks. Idk I'm just trying to set the stage right now, so honestly this book will probably be one of my longer ones, just because I want to develop the plot at a slower pace (as slow as my updates, hahahaaaa just kidding)