Chapter Twelve

☁︎

Namjoon

"Okay, I think I have a solution," I told Anna.

She gave me a skeptical look. And I suddenly started to regret everything. Did I really think this was a good idea? What if my parents were to suddenly show up early despite never showing up early except on Tuesdays? What if she thought I was trying to do something weird? I'd already made the mistake of pretty much telling her I watched her. Anna sighed quietly and crossed her arms. I knew I should hurry up and tell her my plan, since students were going to start arriving for class at any moment. But I was hesitant.

"Well, if we can't do it in the library, then there really isn't anywhere else for us to do it at school," I pointed out.

"Okay..."

"So I was thinking you could just come over to my house instead," I forced myself to say.

As expected, Anna just looked up at me without a response. But instead of a suspicious stare, she seemed to be studying me. In fact, Anna was almost narrowing her eyes in concentration, staring right into my eyes. I realized she'd been making eye contact this whole time. Slightly uncomfortable, I leaned away.

"Uh...so..." I continued. "Anna?"

She blinked, coming back into focus.

"What?" She asked.

"Did you...not hear anything I just said?" I asked, starting to get frustrated.

Why was she acting so strange? What was with all this sudden eye contact? She'd always been avoiding my eyes before.

"Could you repeat it?" Anna asked.

"I suggested that we just have the sessions at my house," I repeated, feeling more annoyed than hesitant now.

She tilted her head, her face remaining expressionless.

"Do you like me?" She asked abruptly.

I subconsciously leaned farther away, ramming into the desk behind me as my eyes widened.

"What?! What are you saying?!" I sputtered. "Why would you even suggest that?!"

She watched me carefully. How could anyone be so blunt?

"Just curious," Anna replied simply. "And your house sounds fine. After school right?"

"Uh, y-yeah..." I replied slowly.

She nodded and stalked away, towards her own desk. But I stood in front of mine, still frozen. Shocked. How could someone bring something like that up so easily? I blinked a few times, trying to regain composure. I was almost jealous of her. How was it this girl was so unafraid to speak her mind like that? And why couldn't I? I turned around slowly, glancing at her. Anna just sat at her desk and stared out the window. She had the same icy expression as always.

"Yah, what did you say for the last question on our math homework?" Hoseok was suddenly beside me.

"Hm? Oh. Hold on."

☁︎

Anna

I leaned against the school wall, waiting for Namjoon to come outside. It was slightly chilly, so I pulled my blazer tighter and wished the school uniform skirts were longer. Although, it was my fault my skirt was so short. I'd just wanted to make sure I was doing what all the other girls were doing. I sighed and laid my head back, lifting my eyes to the clouds.