Chapter Fifteen

☁︎

Anna

I stared at the white board, all of Teacher Park's words passing through me with no effect. Ever since the day before, my mind had been filled to the brim. It was insane how little I knew of everyone around me. Despite being able to read minds, I realized, I had almost no idea who anyone was. Even though I somehow couldn't get into Namjoon's head, finding out his secret revealed just how little I knew of everyone else around me. What was that called? I wondered. Sonder? The realization that everyone around me is living a life as vivid and complex as my own. But I doubted there was anyone who really had a life more unnatural than mine. Still.

I leaned back, considering all this. And now I knew that Namjoon, the class president with impeccable grades in every class except history, every teacher's prized student, the most studious in all the school, used to write raps. And possibly still does. For the first time, I found myself actually wanting to know what someone was thinking. And for the first time, I couldn't find out. For all I knew, Namjoon had lied about not writing anymore. I didn't know. And, for whatever reason, the thought not only intimidated me, but also excited me. This was a new kind of feeling for me.

The bell rang, halting my line of thought, and I blinked, coming back to reality. Twisting my ring, I looked over at Namjoon. As usual, despite the class having a short break now, he was bent over a textbook on his desk, reading it with strange intensity. I refrained from rolling my eyes.

"Can I help you?" He asked, still pouring over the book.

"No," I replied, not surprised by his acute awareness.

I was also not surprised to hear Jin's familiar voice.

"So Anna, about Saturday..." he began.

I turned to see him standing right in front of my desk. Probably to block me from escaping abruptly like the time before. I crossed my arms and stared ahead, blatantly ignoring me.

"I'll take that as a yes?" He chuckled. "See? I don't need an explicit answer, I can just tell what you're thinking from your gaze. Aren't we so close already?"

"Know what I'm thinking?" I asked softly.

It hit way too close to home. He grinned, probably pleased at finally getting a response.

"You should be glad you don't know what I'm thinking," I retorted softly.

Namjoon let out a short breath, as if holding back a snort, beside us. Jin's jaw clenched slightly, and he turned his gaze to the class president. Namjoon just continued to stare at his textbook.

"What's so funny?" Jin and I asked at the same time.

This made Namjoon actually look at the both of us, feigning surprise.

"Me? What are you talking about?" He asked innocently.

I narrowed my eyes at him, wondering if he'd been refraining from laughing at my pathetic predicament. I didn't think he was really in the position to do so when I had such a large secret of his in my hand. Not that I would ever use it against him. I had given Namjoon my word after all.

Our next teacher walked in, forcing Jin to go back to his seat and Namjoon to put away his book. And I fell back into my deep thoughts.