Chapter Seventeen

☁︎

Anna

As usual, Namjoon didn't get out of my head. He hadn't really since I'd found out. It was even more annoying than actually hearing people in my head, which made no sense to me. I narrowed my eyes, trying to think of something else. But I couldn't force my mind to think of other subjects, so I turned over on my bed and reached for my phone. I knew, since it was Saturday, that at least one person would be available that afternoon. But as I tapped on my contacts, I paused. I didn't want to hang out with any of them. Do I ever? I asked myself. But this morning, my distaste for all the "friends" I had had grown. There was only one person I was really interested in texting.

"No way," I said aloud, slamming my phone back onto my bedside table.

With a shake of my head, I forced myself up to get dressed. It was small, but I had a part time job at the local cafe down the street from my house. It was so small a job, that I only went in on call and on weekend mornings. I attributed the strange arrangement to the fact that the owner and my father were friends. I pulled on a jacket after checking the weather and headed downstairs. I was out the door with only an apple in hand within minutes.

☁︎

I never thought much of the people at the cafe, nor did I think much about the cafe itself. Because of the small number of hours I worked there, I never really considered myself an actual worker, and never really spoke to my coworkers, except for job purposes. But for some reason, on this morning, I suddenly took a deeper notice to all those who worked there, though still averting from eye contact. Was it because of Namjoon? Maybe I was curious to see if he was the only one not affected by my abilities. Or maybe I wanted to see just how little I really knew.

"Anna!" A voice brought my attention to the front counter.

I glanced over, pausing my current wiping of the table before me. Wan Nana, the manager, stood there, with a short boy, who was glancing around the small shop with an excited, but dazed look in his eyes.

"Yes?" I replied.

She waved her hand, motioning me to approach. I raised my eyebrows and walked over. Nana patted the boy's shoulder.

"Meet your shadow for today," she informed me.

"My what?" I asked.

"This is Park Jimin. He's our newest team member, got it? No big deal, just let him follow you around. Show him what we do," Nana explained, annoyance rising in my chest with each of her words.

"Why can't Kang do it?" I couldn't help but ask.

Nana was used to the staff's whining, so she didn't even react to my slight rudeness.

"Kang wasn't the first person I saw," she retorted, pushing Park Jimin towards me gently. "Have him come to me if you can't answer a question. Thanks, Anna."

"But, Unnie--!" I was cut off as the kitchen door closed behind her.

I grit my teeth for just a moment, then let out a breath. I didn't come to work to be followed around by some little boy. Not today. I crossed my arms and turned back to him. The new kid was significantly shorter than me, and I could tell that my annoyance wasn't hidden well enough. He looked slightly uncomfortable. Feeling a bit guilty, I considered what I could say to make him feel a bit more welcomed.

"I'm Geum Shin Anna," I finally said.

"Park Jimin," he replied quietly.