1- "I'm home, dear husbando."

« VANSH »

It wasn't everyday when you see a Cricket World cup with your country competing against the finals. They were thrilling and dreading at the same time. Similarly, it wasn't everyday when you sat in front of your family and your girlfriend in the same room. A thrilling moment indeed!

After working as an intern for four months in Design Plus, the company offered a chance to work in one of their main branches. It was either Delhi or Bangalore. I couldn't miss an golden opportunity like this one, especially if it meant staying in the city where my girlfriend resided. When I delivered the news to my parents, Mom was especially reluctant about it. She didn't want me to stay away again. I shared the same feeling. It felt good to be spoiled by my mother, be annoyed by my brother and discuss various topics with my father, but if I wanted to work on a bigger and a better project, few sacrifices had to be made. It wasn't just for Ahana but for the upliftment of my career too.

By now, both of our parents knew about our relationship. It happened accidentally when Mom kept asking about the 'mysterious girl' I was dating, thanks to my considerate brother and Pops dropping subtle hints. She narrowed down the options to Lisa and Ahana. It was then I realized I couldn't hide it any longer. She was upset when she knew— not because of my choice of girl but because she wouldn't get a chance to choose a bride for me. She kept complaining about it for days to the point where I got annoyed and told that I was serious about her. My family looked at me stunned for a while until Pops gave a slow clap, bringing back the humor. Mom remained silent about the issue until one day, she hugged me and smiled, saying she supported me. Honestly, I was touched. While Ahana's parents weren't too thrilled about her relationship but as time passed, they got used to it and even talked to me on phone once.

After delivering the mind blowing news regarding my job to Ahana, we searched for the apartment together. I already figured out the location through Internet, I just needed to see those apartments in person, and select the one that was decent and cheap. Three weeks later we were here, in my living room, having lunch like it was the most normal thing in the world. One would think why I'd be reckless enough to invite Ahana to my family. Well then, you haven't met my greatest savior— Pops.

“I'm disappointed in you, Ahana,” Pops said to Ahana in a gruff voice, increasing her nervousness tenfold while I eyed the old man deviously. Before I could speak, he continued, “Why didn't you invite your family? I was looking forward to meet Dinesh.”

“Don't be such an idiot, Papaji. You can always call him yourself to invite them over. Ahana will be kind enough to give you their number. Isn't that right, my dear sister- in- law?” Siddharth piped in, kindly adding fuel to the fire. I could easily imagine an invisible bull's horn sticking over his head as he smirked at me and Ahana. Good for him that he was sitting away from my reach, otherwise I would have punctured him with my bare hands.

I noticed Ahana fumbling with her fingers under the table. “Actually they are out at Ghaziabad today to meet my Uncle. I'll surely inform them next time,” She concluding, smiling while still fumbling with her fingers. It was hard to know whether my parents bought her lie or not.

“Please do. Sanju would be thrilled to meet your mother. Right Sanju?” Pops said, bumping his shoulder with his wife. Will I behave like that when I reach my late forties?

Ma eyed him wide, “Etoh kuch bhi bakta rehta hai. Besharm kahika! (You just keep spouting anything you like. Shameless human!)” she said, hitting him lightly on his shoulder while he grinned like a mischievous child. Ma diverted her attention to Ahana. “Don't mind this idiot. Tell me, how's your job going?”

I was surprised by my mother's friendliness towards her. I was sure she would be distant as she was previously in Toronto but I was wrong. It was at one point when Ma was complaining about my lack of cleanliness abilities did Ahana seconded her statement, saying I did the same in the dorm back then. While they were only making fun of my lack of arrangement, there was something intriguing about watching two of my most special women conversing with each other. I silently thanked my stars for my irresponsible ways.