3- "Something's wrong with us."

(A/N- Argh, I know, lame title. If anyone can come up with a better dialog title according to this chapter then plz suggest. I'm all ears.)

« VANSH »

“And then she scolded me in front of my colleagues. Basically that bitch was blaming me for not finishing up with the edits on time but I never...” Ahana carried off with her rambling, complaining about how her unfair her boss was. It was regarding some kind of editing matter which I couldn't really grasp. I didn't want to anyway. I did listen to her at first but I tuned out the moment she brought the words 'kerning' and 'gradient' to her statement. I secretly checked out the time when she wasn't looking. Fifteen— Fifteen tiring minutes had passed since she first opened her mouth but she still didn't stop. Damn, I regret asking her how her days went. Maybe she should let me rant this way too.

The waiter actually frowned at me when he arrived with our order, which had to do with me, looking at him like he was my savior. I might actually give him an extra tip later, considering I never give one. We devoured our dinner in silence, speaking only a few words in between. It was close to eight at night when we were done with it, so we decided to part ways.

We walked to the station and stopped at the junction leading to different platforms. Ahana adjusted the strap of her handbag, letting out a weary sound before facing my way. “How about Sunday?” she suggested the day for our next meeting.

I tried not to show my disapproval as I kept a straight face. Truthfully, I planned to spend the day lying my ass, under the covers. “Where?” I asked instead.

“The usual spot.”

I pursued my lips, “Can you, maybe, stop by my apartment instead? We can watch a movie and just chill out.”

“Sounds cool. It would be cold outside anyway,” She said and I heaved a sigh of relief. Soon we bid goodbyes with a plan to meet on Sunday. I watched her back getting smaller and smaller as she walked away from me and soon became one with the crowd. In that moment, a random thought hit my head.

She didn't smile.

And as I watched people step in and out of the train while traveling my way to the apartment, I realized— Neither did I. It was an empty feeling.

The following Sunday, I cleaned my room so that she wouldn't find a thing to complain about. I decided to prepare us something. Just as I threw a leftover packet of Lays into the dustbin, I received a call from Ahana. Her voice sounded sheepish. At first she asked me what I was doing and other everyday things. Even though she didn't say it, I could already sense something incoming.

“Look I know it's a lame excuse but I'm too lazy and tired to get out today. I'm sorry,” She confessed guiltily.

“It's okay, An! I can relate to your laziness very well. Let's just rest for today. Maybe next Sunday,” I said and sensed a yawn escaping my mouth but somehow it didn't escape. Argh!

“Well then goodnight, Vanny.”

“Goodnight Anny,” I said sweetly and we shared a laugh. With that, I ended the call and tucked myself comfortably under the covers.

~

Ahana visited my apartment next week as promised. We were  comfortably lying on the sofa watching Netflix for the past two hours. A soft blanket had our legs covered while my arm was resting behind her. It was a cozy Sunday afternoon until she turned off the television, disturbing the peaceful bubble we were in. I glanced at the wall clock which displayed 4: 25. It wasn't time for her to go home yet.