35~ "Will you marry me?"

« VANSH »

One word, six letters— Crisis.

Major fucking crisis.

I had been very careful while sending out mass digital invitations to my friends. Ahana and I made sure to only include the ones who lived around the city, with the exception of Dhruv and Pragya. Yet, I failed. I accidentally invited Irfan. That's probably how Natasha got the good news. Not to mention the unexpected arrival of Lisa. This was almost like being pranked on our own prank. Was this a road runner show going on?

But that didn't matter to the matters of the present. I could feel it in the hairs of my skin. Feel the temperature rise at an alarming rate. If temperature had a physical form, the whole bar would have been burned into ashes by now. It had nothing to do with the female guest before me but with the one besides me. Ahana was accessing Natasha from top to bottom in a way that even the HR of a top government post wouldn't. Slowly she dragged (yes, dragged) her head to me, widening her eyes as if to say- 'So that's the bitch you put your dick into?' There was no doubt that she looked absolutely gorgeous in her silver lehenga dress and tiara but right now, she seemed no more than the ghost from the Ring. I visibly shuddered.

Natasha genuinely smiled at us, completely immune to Ahana's visionary attacks. Picking up the bouquet she previously kept on the table, she handed it over. “Congratulations on your engagement.”

I forced the muscles of my mouth to twitch. “Eh, thank you. Me- meet my soon- to- be fiancé, Ahana Mishra.”

Ahana who seemed ever so eager to meet her, jumped at the opportunity. She extended her hand to her with a wide, wide smile. “I do seem to recall you from those rare photos of Boston. You were his collegue, right? Of course you were haha! Anyway, nice to meet you, Na-ta-sha.”

My smile faltered.

Natasha's gaze flickered to me with her brow raised. Seriously? You realize it now. But instead of getting swallowed in her flames, she only rose above as she smirked at Ahana. “Oh, but I recall you very well, Ahana. You were all over his college pics. Not to mention the nth times he sulked over you at our lunch table those days.”

The temperature suddenly got a lot lower. “Excuse me?!”

Oi, don't provoke her, woman.

“Ah, I'm just kidding. Don't mind me. Likewise. It's nice to meet you.” Their hands touched. For a second though— like for a split second, I noticed Natasha's jaw clench as Ahana's grip became too strong to handle. Natasha chuckled.

“Vansh must be such a masochist to keep you around.” Before Ahana could even comprehend Natasha's words, she whispered loud enough for my unfortunate ears to hear, “Make sure you don't pluck out his jewels with that firm grip of yours.”

With a suggestive wink she walked away, leaving Ahana with her jaw wide open, and me with a major facepalm. Clearly hearing Natasha's comment caught her off-guard. I didn't blame her. You normally didn't say that to someone you just met. Then again, Natasha wasn't normal.

“So, Vansh Baweja. My precious baby. My one and only—” addressed a sweet, loving voice to my front that brought chills down my spine. I stole a glance at her and paled. Normally one wouldn't suspect anything from the way she was blissfully smiling at me but only I knew the real demonic face that was hidden behind that mask. It made me jump out of my own skin. Her hand reached out to rest at my neck, making me shudder. She pointed her other free hand towards Natasha who was drinking a glass of water. “Care to explain what this... this creature doing, breathing in the same space as us?”