14- "I didn't empty my pockets to watch this shit."

14- “I didn't empty my pockets to watch this shit.”

VANSH

I woke up how a fictional Vampire burns when he gets exposed to the sun. Dim sunlight fell from the pores of the brown- red curtains, disturbing me from my slumber. Letting out a sheepish groan, I covered my eyes with my arm and turned to the other side. I tried to fall asleep again but it didn't visit me this time. Not with a head that felt like a thumping bass and a perching throat. Moreover the mattress didn't felt like the usual one I slept on. Did I crashed onto my couch again? Slowly, I fluttered my eyes open, wanting to know the answer to my burning question.

I shouldn't have bothered.

The first thing I noticed was a warm quilt draped over me that wasn't mine. And then, an unfamiliar sofa that was extended to form a bed. Still puzzled, I let my eyes swarm over the unfamiliar surroundings. Suddenly everything hit me in a series of fast forward flashbacks— Irfan asking me a favor, the drinking contest with Natasha, our ridiculous escapade, clicking photos on the bridge, comparing life to an ocean, her lips pressed onto mine, me getting out of this apartment...

Holy fucking shit, just what did I get into last night?

Her taste still lingered on my lips as I touched them. The reason why she suddenly made that move was beyond me? I understand that it was merely a lip- to- lip touch that remained for a few seconds but still— the fact that I reacted so late made me look like a douche who didn't mind. And then, there's that. 

How in the world am I supposed to explain this to Ahana?

Calm down! Atleast it wasn't as bad as Phil Wenneck and his friends from The Hangover. Talking about hangover, God my head. Someone was probably using it as a drum to produce noise. I had my head clutched between my hands for God knows how long until I heard something. I thought it was my imagination until someone spoke again. Louder.

“Are you okay?”

My hands that were at the top of my head earlier, slipped to press my ears instead. “Oh no, I'm so sorry,” she spoke again, softly this time. I finally raised my head to see a healthy looking, red haired woman (or maybe copper) staring at me. I lowered my hands. For a moment, we remained still in the name of awkward silence.

“You did this?” I finally asked, motioning towards the extended bed and the quilt that covered my body.

She nodded hesitantly, “I reached the apartment at two and found you and Natasha in a rather um, helpless state. So I did whatever I could, yeah. It was a crazy party at my friend's place too...” She said with a soft laugh then placed a hand on her mouth as if she said something offensive. “Oh, where are my manners? I should probably thank you for taking care of my friend. Hope she didn't cause too much trouble... Or maybe, she did, from the way you sounded on the phone last night.”

Shy, cute, dignified, kind— Those were the adjectives that came to my mind from what I observed her. Not that it affected me but I could see why Irfan had a thing for her. She kind of reminded me of Lisa without the shy part. “You are Kyle, right?”

“Yes, Kyle Jones but you can call me Kyle or K, although Natasha insists on calling me Kelly or Jones which I don't like. Oh shit, I rambled on,” she said with a nervous laugh. “Um, do you need something? I'll be making pasta in a bit so...”

“Uh, yeah... a glass of water... ” I said, getting up and noticed her taking a step back. Man, this was awkward. I didn't want to trouble her after trespassing her apartment but it couldn't be helped. “Also, where's the washroom?”