6- "We'll see who crushes who."

« VANSH »

I remembered the first day I set foot on Toronto along with my two musketeers, Dhruv and Pragya. We went to see the CN Tower together, gazing at the city from the top of the tower. That memory of us bickering but enjoying the sights all the same was still fresh in my mind. Those memories decided to take a stroll in my mind as I strolled around the campus of Harvard University. Funny how out of all places, I chose to visit a university as my first touring place in Boston, nevermind it being a top notch one.

The jetlag hit me with full force by the time I reached Boston at seven in the morning— My head was screaming, my ears were bleeding (not literally but you get my point) and my eyes were in a desperate need for hibernation. So I did the only thing any sane person would do— I slept. I didn't even bothered to knock into my temporary guesthouse, oh hell no! I simply booked a room at the nearest hotel and crashed on bed after refreshing myself. And by refreshing myself, I meant emptying my bladder and removing half of my clothes. When I woke up it was bloody night time. But then, that's was what day long flights did.

Thankfully the company peeps were kind enough to grant me an apartment or rather a guest house. Though I would still have to pay the rent but atleast it was cheaper than the original price rent, plus it saved time from the endless searching. After leaving the hotel the following morning, I headed straight to the building, signed some papers, receiving a key in return and entered the apartment with my luggage. Since it was a one person apartment, it had one living room joined by a kitchen, one bedroom, one toilet and one small balcony. It wasn't big obviously but it lookwise, it was better than the one in Delhi. I didn't bothered to unload my belongings that I— Sorry my Mataji (mother) stuffed in four heavy suitcases.

The excitement of stepping myself on the US ground was becoming hard to digest so I decided to let that out by exploring a bit outside. Turned out that Harvard University was the closest spot to my place. Common people were allowed to visit during visiting hours. There was a Harvard Museum too, which was a famous tourist attraction. While I really enjoyed the foreign sites, the museum and the colorful atmosphere of the US, I couldn't help but feel a bit detached from it. Probably because I was here all alone. Just like the first three months in Delhi. It was like history repeating itself. But unlike Delhi, atleast Ahana was there and I was still living in the country. I had no problem with being alone actually but  ten months? You mean to say I was supposed to spend the rest of the year here? Fuck!

No, think about the glorious opportunity you got, think about how it would affect your job in the future. You might just get promoted if you give an exceptional performance.

That did make me a little better. I just hoped the co- workers were approachable enough. Then there was Ahana to deal with. Thankfully she didn't sounded sour when I called her later. More like disappointed, gradually disappointing me too. It was another headache altogether.

                                 ~

I mean it when I say this, especially after working at Design Plus which was ten floors long—This office was huge with a capital H. Due to the sheer size of the office, it was no wonder that there would be more people occupying the space. People came and went, carrying their bags and suitcases, boring a serious face. They all looked like workaholics who wouldn't mind killing themselves to work twenty four hours a day. Tension was around the air, constantly hitting on my defenses. It made me agitated. The fact that many of them were foreigners wasn't helping my nerves. I just hoped there were few decent Indians working for this project. Not that I had a problem with foreigners but having someone belonging to your home country was more assuring.

According to the information given, I was scheduled to arrive in this office today to attend a seminar and a meeting. The project was called Building Natick which was the name of the mall to be precise. During the seminar, they told us that the project would be divided amongst different teams. Those teams will be divided on the basis of floors and sections. The seminar seemed like a classroom of around thirty people. The principle who took over this project a forty- eight year old man with a round belly. He briefed us with the project, what the clients desired and displayed the blueprints on the screen. Maybe one day, one day, I'll be experienced enough to be on the designing team rather than the production one. In the end, he listed out each name along with the floor number we were assigned to. Finally we were told to disperse and head straight to the floor meetings.