34~ "Let's get engaged."

« AHANA »

From that day onwards, Vansh and I started dating. There were no restrictions, no distances, no delays. We met each other whenever we could, and departed even if we didn't want to. What surprised me is how we were doing it. If you look at us, we wouldn't seem like a couple who had known each other for a long time. Quite on the contrary, we behaved as if we were in our honeymoon phase. We messaged, talked on phone, met each other twice a week (sometimes even thrice). We didn't stress much about the things we did. Just sitting cuddled on the sofa next to him, watching TV in his apartment was a cool enough date for me. Infact, most of our times were spent in his apartment (for obvious private reasons). Although that didn't mean we never had more- than- normal dates. We still fooled around. We still pranked people. Being crazy was in our genes. In the end, I didn't care what normal or upnormal things we did, as long as it was with him. It was him that mattered. Maybe this was the consequence of staying far away and the many fallouts between us.

Since I was dating my favorite person again, obviously I was thrilled to share this news to the world. I thought of posting a scandalous picture of us together— either us embracing each other, or me kissing his cheek— but Vansh rejected it. He instead proposed the idea of doing a joint video call with the college group, breaking the news there and then. Vansh tried to convince them but with different time zones and work schedules, it wasn't easy. I told him to encourage them by making up a fake- ghost- in- the- room story. About a week later, when the video call finally commenced (thank God!) Vansh entertained everyone by keeping up the fake suspense, until finally he gestured me to show myself. They weren't shocked at his story as much as they were to see me, coming in front of Vansh to peck firmly on his lips. Some said they expected it while some were genuinely shocked. I could almost sense Lisa's envy through the screen, even though she didn't word it. Despite their different reactions, they were happy for us and told us not to screw up again. I posted a picture of us later on for the rest of the world to know. Vansh specifically
suggested to accept Shreya's friend request that she sent me on Facebook long back, and tag her on the picture, just for the bitch to see it.

Besides getting his sweet revenge, Vansh had other things taking place in his life, too. Let's just say that I, Ahana Mishra, became his lucky charm. Good things have been happening to him, ever since I re- entered his life. It started with his transfer to a different department in the same office. Vansh shamelessly bid farewell to his fake collegues and got transferred to a higher and better department. Not only his salary increased but the collegues he encountered were far better than his previous. Within a month, he became a part of a gang who were dedicated, both inside and outside the office. The downside being, he became busier and more involved in his work life. Our dates cut down to one day a week. It was difficult adjusting to his new schedule at first, but eventually he found time for me and we got used to it.

Two months into his new office, something that never happened in his two year stay in Delhi, happened. He got himself a roommate. He met that person through a colleague of his. The roommate was in his early thirties and currently working as a civil engineer. Said he wanted to change flats since the one he rented was unhygienic. Vansh and him, sort of interviewed each other to check whether they were potential serial killers or not. That person managed to click all boxes required for a decent roommate. All except one.

His name was Piyush Agrawal.

‘The whole universe must be laughing at me.’ Was what Vansh said to me. He was actually going to reject his offer just because of a name he loathed but somehow I convinced him to consider.

Piyush Agrawal was the total opposite of Vansh. If Vansh was a hyperactive bunny, Piyush was the calm one. If Vansh was a dirty mess, Piyush was a cleanliness freak— you get the picture. Vansh thought that maybe Piyush was going through a tough phase or something since he rarely spoke, but Piyush defended saying he had always been this way. Since Piyush was reserved and Vansh didn't have much time to spare, they didn't interact much. Which was fine, actually. They weren't close friends but didn't act like total strangers either. They just minded their own business more. Piyush would even go as far as leaving the house, when I showed up.