17- "The day when one of my dreams came true."

17- “The day when one of my dreams came true.”

AHANA

“Did you get it?” My mother asked.

I was standing outside my house, drenched from rain that fell out of nowhere (the wonders of Global warming). But nothing in the world could deter away from the news I was about to deliver.

“Yes, Ma. I got the job.”

The next moment I was pulled into a warm embrace that spoke much more than a hearty congratulations. I hugged her back. When we pulled away, her eyes were glistening, “Mum! It's not like I'm going to leave you.” I chuckled, kissing her on the cheek. Mothers can be oddly emotional sometimes.

“I know, beta. These are happy tears. Wait till Dinesh hears about it,” she said merrily and blinked back her tears. Then placing her hands on either side of my face, she returned my cheek kiss with her own, “Okay, now, get yourself changed. Your precious chole is waiting for you.”

“Wohoo!” I raised my fist in mid air at the mention of chole. I proceeded to my room to get rid of my wet dripping clothes.

“Ahana,” Mum called, making me stop mid way. I turned back. “You are happy with your decision... right?”

“Yes, Ma.” I conjured up a small smile. It's the easiest way out. “I'll go and get changed.”

I locked the door to my room and stripped off my clothes as I walked my way to the shower. As I let the cold water droplets wash over my body, I confirmed with myself by drawing a fist near my mouth as a mike. “Sound check, sound check... Let's see... From upcoming Monday onwards, I, Ahana Mishra, will start working in a renowned company called ColorSplash. The company has been running successfully for ten years, unlike the poor start up company I worked in earlier. Work days are five days a week, starting salary is twenty five thousand and it's a forty minutes away from home... Not bad, Ahana, not bad.” I nodded to myself. After giving two failed and unsatisfactory interviews before, this one was the best till now. I raised my head, closing my eyes to the cool droplets slapping my face. It would be nice to be on gear again after so long. I cannot afford to lose sight of this one.

And probably get fashion designing out of my mind.

~

The other day, I called Vishal to arrange a meeting with him. He showed up late evening at a park nearby. Aman tagged along as well but not Xander as he was out on a business trip. The moment I opened my mouth to speak, Aman beat me to it, “Piyush had already filled in the details so you don't need to repeat it like a daily soap recap.”

“Aman's right,” Vishal filled in. “If you're here to gossip like those Bhansal Aunties from our neighborhood then sorry, not sorry- we are out.”

“Will you fuckin let me speak?” I intervened in time, just to hear them say a collective 'no'. I threw my hands in exasperation. “You seriously mean to say you don't find a huuuge deal that your friend just proposed himself, right in front of my parents.”

“The way she put it, I think she wants us to propose to her parents too,” Aman concluded with Vishal.

“But I don't want to betray my love.” Vishal's said, his face crestfallen. He then placed a hand on my shoulder, facing me seriously, “Don't be disheartened Ahana, you'll always be our Draupadi regardles— Ow, ow, ow.”