23- "You're such a bad tease."

23- “You're such a bad tease.”

« VANSH »

When the storm cooled down, Ahana and I decided to talk. It was awkward for a few seconds on phone, until Ahana apologized for her outburst last night. I apologized too, repeating time and time again, that I didn't mean it. She said alright, followed by another stretch of silence.

“Tell me one thing, Van, and be honest.” She broke the ice and I braced myself. “Are you fed up of our relationship?”

Her voice was calm and understanding. I decided to be honest this time. “Maybe a little, yes.” When she replied okay, I threw the same question at her. “What about you?”

“Oh, me? I've been fed up for a long time.” Her words pricked like needles. “Let's not talk about depressing things. By the way, have you watched the latest episode of One piece?”

“Not yet. Why, what happened? Don't
tell me they got him...”

Thus the conversation continued as we indulged in TV shows, latest happenings and the weather. When we ran out of topics to talk, both of us went mute again. None of us were in the mood to talk about our sinking relationship so we left it at that and ended the call gracefully. Thus, I got ready for office.

~

The two month training with my three students finally came to an end. As a reward for bearing with me and vice versa, I treated them to dinner at my place. We ate, got drunk, danced and clicked some of those moments together. By the time, I bid goodbye to them, I was actually sad while Sophie was in tears. It was a memorable night.

Ahana and I didn't talk to each other after that. Our communication only extended to small chats and jokes we sent to each other. The reason was unknown or maybe it was just everything. I began to doubt if Ahana's words were true. That we really weren't in any sort of relationship anymore. She never clarified on phone last time. Neither did I care enough to ask. Our future seemed bleak now.

In contrast to my monotonous life, things in the office were rather tight as we headed to the last part of the project. Things were still distracting with regards to a certain collegue of mine but my workload managed to pull that away to a great extent. Work strayed me from thinking about my personal life and my personal problems. Collegues were being more friendly while bosses were being lenient. It was exciting, actually. I was finally able to see the results of our teams combined efforts, come to life. It was exhilarating.

With time, the weather grew warmer and gradually, it was the month of April. The last month of my stay in Boston.

In order to commemorate the success of the wild project so far, our principal Mr Wilford Grint decided to host a grand party in a high class resort with an in- house bar. All forty members who had contributed to the project were invited. Instead of swallowing myself in self pity and regret, I decided to make the most of it within these fifteen days. Starting right from this party.

I went ahead choosing my favorite black and grey stripe suit for the occasion. I interacted with everyone I knew, took part in mindless party games and danced with my closest friends. When my body gave up, I feasted on the lavish food to my hearts content. Irfan and I even bet upon who would eat the most. Guess who won? It hardly mattered.

I chugged down another half glass of champagne, ending it with a satisfying burp and slammed the glass on the bar slab. The effects of alcohol was starting to show up as the vision before me tilted a little.

“Hold yourself together, man,” I heard Irfan's voice besides me. With some effort, I raised my head from his shoulder. We shot a helpless glance at each other before we bursted out laughing. Why were we laughing? Again, does it matter?