27- "Even a cupid has to work 24/7."

[Before reading this chapter, a small  reminder ⚠ - In the remainder chapters of the story, there are going to some sexual content. It won't necessarily be in this chapter or even the next and next. It can be anywhere. I just put this up now because I don't want to write this author's note just a step before the chapter to warn you off. It would spoil the fun, you see ;) So I wrote this now. I hope you won't mind. It's nothing too graphic.]

« VANSH »

In a particular office, inside a cafeteria, a conversation was going on between two men, standing in line with the counter. 

“Where's Vansh, bro?” Guy one asked guy two, also known by the name Pradeep.

I'm right here, you motherfuckers. Just look three people behind you. 

Pradeep let out a sound that almost sounded like a grunt. “Forget that, Devdas! Always-- He always looks so forlorn like he has the whole world riding on his shoulders. I'm shit tired of babysitting that idiot. Screw him.”

I almost ended up snorting at his words. The urge to laugh was so bad that I managed to slip out, without them noticing and finally, laughed out loud. The thing that he said about babysitting me was the funniest of all. He didn't need to look out for me or even talk to me if he didn't want to. I was more than fine by myself.

As I ate my lunch by myself, I couldn't help but recall my lunch days in Boston. An image flashed before my eyes where I was laughing along with Natasha and Irfan. Those days that seemed so normal back then became precious now. It almost hurt remembering them. It seems like I was right in my prediction, Irfan and Natasha. I couldn't find collegues like you.

It had been around two months since I left Boston. I had taken the liberty to take twelve days leave to spend time with my family before returning back to the main branch office in Delhi. Life was pretty much the same as it was before. Same old collegues, same old loneliness. I would start my day with a morning jog, get ready for office, work for nine hours, eat, watch TV, sleep, and repeat the process all over again. I felt no less than a machine automated to do the same thing everyday. That routine did change one time, when an old friend of mine stayed in my apartment for fifteen days, to complete his internship. At other days, it felt depressing without waiting for a certain girl to drop by, after work.

Never a day went by when I didn't think of that girl. She kept her promise of keeping herself off from my life. It felt emptier without her presence. I wanted her back but asking her back meant, bringing the elephant in the room. I knew that the moment I met her again, I'll have to tell her everything, whether I liked it or not. Most likely I'll have to witness her dejected face and get rejected in return. That's exactly why I was avoiding it. Pathetic, I know.

I did make an effort to call Ahana though. We talked nicely the first time around, but for some strange reason, she refused to pick up the call, the second time. Since she avoided me, I instead called Pragya to keep a tab of her life. Whether her parents were searching for a man or not. Regardless, I had to arrange a meeting with Ahana soon.

Day after day passed, living in that loneliness, working in the same goddamn office until one day, I couldn't take it. I went to the office and asked my senior manager to get me deployed to Chandigarh, where I previously worked. Atleast, I would be closer to my family that way, but no. My request was denied, saying I would only be allowed to change offices, the next year. Great, just great!

I had no choice but to suck it up and manage in this pungent city for the rest of the year. And, while my life sucked big time, I also forgot that the very same life had the tendency to change from time to time.