36~ "I'll treasure it for infinity, pun intended."

« AHANA »

“Ahana Mishra— my best friend, my partner- in- crime, my soulmate. Will you marry me?”

“There is nothing in the world that would make me more happier than saying yes.”

The whole proposal was coming back to me. Was this Vansh's plan all along? Did he lie about the fake engagement party, just to get me engaged in real? We were planning to fool everyone but in reality, it was a set up to fool me.

My world stopped.

“...na... Ahana!” Someone called my name from afar and I snapped back to reality. I gaze flickered to Vansh whose eyes were shimmering with hope. It felt like deja vu to the time when he confessed at the terrace. He was patiently waiting for my reply while our friends were growing impatient about our big announcement. The decision had to be made, immediately.

I removed the ring from my finger, carefully tucking it inside the pocket.

“You, what...?” Vansh's broken voice reached my burning ears. I avoided his gaze, scared of what I would find there.

“Can we talk about this later on? Let's just go with what we planned for now. We have others to fool, remember?”

A nerve-wracking moment passed. Followed by another, then another.
Only then, I heard a something from him that brought an icy chill down my spine.

A laugh.

“As you wish, high priestess.” The way he spoke with disgust forced me to raise my head to him. He was smiling but his eyes— they were towering mad above me. Before I had the chance to counter reply, he turned us both around, grinning to the unenthutiastic audience.

“The time has arrived at last, young bitches and brats! Let us proceed with the useless ceremony. Piyush?” He called his roommate who stood as rigid as a bodyguard before us. “Music.”

“Right away.” He went and requested the song we both had pre-planned for this moment. Few seconds later, the curious silence was replaced by all time, classical music by Mozart- Eine Klent.

The orchestral music was almost comical. Vansh and I took advantage of that by dancing to some funny steps in accordance to the music. We responded to the stunned audience through some mimicry and
ever so smoothly, slipped rings onto each other's fingers. The audience were divided into two teams. The neutral ones who were like- 'Meh, whatever floats your boat' and the others, who were actually freaked out. But it wasn't over just yet.

“Did we manage to incite questions in that curious brain of yours?” This was me now. “Well, look no further than our fingers. The truth is right here, baby!”

We lowered our hands to the little audience below us. You know what they say about opposite attraction Their shocking faces were definitely attracting the attention to my smirking ones right now. Even Vansh was smirking along (or atleast I think so). I didn't blame them. I mean who wouldn't be shocked after knowing that they came all the way, only to witness their friends us wearing rings made of thin rope. Not to mention the poop emoji in the middle of the ring, and the banner of 'Babaji ka thullu' hanging above us.

“What's the meaning of this audacity?” A perplexed Pragya asked with her hands raised in exasperation. Others angry questions followed suit like rotten tomatoes, thrown at performers after a lousy performance.

“It means what it means. See this cake behind me. It's fake!” Vansh's smile disappeared as he cast a dead glance at me. “Just like this bloody engagement.”