2- "Suck it up like we suck it up to our lives."

« AHANA »

“Nice to meet you Pradeep, I'm Ahana,” I introduced myself to his friend, shaking hands with him.

His eyes assessed me up and down and back to my face, making me slightly uncomfortable. “He did tell me he had a girlfriend but I didn't know she was this cutey. Ahana, you look even more adorable in person. No wonder you were so discreet about it,” he then said to Vansh, bumping his shoulder.

He chuckled quietly, “Hey, no hitting on my girlfriend. She's mine,” Vansh said light heartedly and we all shared a laugh. Although that statement of me being his was supposed to make me swoon, it instead annoyed me dunno why. Nonetheless, I stayed mum and simply smiled at both of them. It was his day after all.

Today Vansh brought his colleague, Pradeep to meet me in person. It had been ten days since they started talking to each other but I could see that they were getting along very well. Vansh expressed how lonely and dull he used to feel before. I felt for him but I couldn't be there for him 24/7. He needed a friend badly which was why I was happy for him.

The three of us sat together for a little snack at the Burger King. Pradeep excused himself to the toilet, leaving both of us in our company.

“How is he?” Vansh asked once Pradeep was out of earshot.

“Okey- dokey, I guess,” I said then pursued my lips before continuing, “But I find him a little... How do I put it, strange I think? I don't know if you noticed but he seemed to throwing a lot of flirty comments at me. Right in front of you too. A few times is okay but after that is plain annoying.”

Vansh took a sharp breath, “I know, I know. I notice those things more better than you and I didn't like it either. Don't worry, I'll make sure to warn him off properly afterwards. He'll stay in line,” he winked and downed another long sip of his cold drink.

“You sure have faith him considering you've known him for a week. Didn't you forget how innocently he ignored you when you asked him to join his group back then? You tried to talk to their group before but they didn't mix up with you then suddenly this guy comes and says hi. Seems a bit odd to me.”

He let out a laugh. It sounded bitter. “Ridiculous. You're overthinking. I don't even remember that tiny incident now. Seriously, Ahana, can't you be happy for me?”

“I am happy for you, Van. I was just trying to warn—”

He didn't even listen halfway as he cut me off. “Then just be, alright?” he insisted, annoyingly.

I felt something tug at my heartstrings. Probably hurt with the way he was siding with his one- week- friend rather than a four- year- old- relationship me. By the time I was about to answer, Pradeep came back. He was looking between the two of us with curious eyes and I wondered if he caught on something. Then without permission he sat down next to me. “Don't kill me,” he winked at him and then had the audacity to wrap an arm around my shoulder.

“Oi, what are you—”

He cut through Vansh's words. “Chill buddy! No need to be jealous for me. I'm already with you everyday in the office but your girlfriend is a different story. I'm just utilizing this time. Right dear?” He said, turning to look at me. “Alright, okay, okay, I was just playing around,” he said nervously, immediately removing his hand when I straight out glared at him.

A mischievous smile played on my lips. I was such a devil. “I was playing around too,” I said and even Vansh couldn't stop smiling at this one.

Pradeep then badmouted Vansh and I joined in, talking about some of his bad habits while Vansh sulked in his seat. But then he complimented Vansh saying he had an eye for 'vision and design' and would most probably land himself in a big shot deal in the future. I felt proud hearing that. Pradeep did seem like a good, energetic guy overall, though he was smiling and laughing too much as well. Almost as if he was faking it but I wouldn't bother pointing out to Vansh this time. Not if he was gonna side with his one- week- friend again.