Awakening

Hi guys!

Thank you all so much for the lovely reviews! Thanks to those who take the time and effort to review, because it really does mean a lot to me! I haven't had as many recently, so I was just wondering if everyone is still interested?

In terms of chapters, I think there will probably be about 70 in this story. I know that's still a while to go but I want it to be a good ending and not rushed.

Please read on and enjoy!

Maren

"Hold still,"

I grit my teeth, trying not to make a noise as Joseph finishes off his very haphazard stitches in my hip. I feel every stab of pain with the needle going in, the awful tug of the thread as he pulls it through. I want to throw up because of the sickening pain but instead I don't make a noise, trying to be strong. Joseph sits next to me as I stretch out on the cot, his eyes narrowed as he finishes off his work on my hip wound.

"Since when can you do stitches?" I ask him, sweat pooling on my forehead.

"Since now," he replies bluntly, his face dark.

Up ahead I can see Nine in the cockpit, easily navigating the ship unlike earlier when the Mogadorian warship had been chasing us. It had come right for us once Joseph and I made it to the ship, not even giving us a chance to really get into the air. The chase had been horrible. I remember the sickening lurching in the air as Nine dodged the missiles. Even worse than the constant spinning and ducking were the horrifying moments when we were hit and the ship was knocked about, sometimes stuttering as the engine struggled to cope. We were lucky nothing important was damaged. We were lucky Nine was quick enough to escape the worst of the damage. And during the whole chase there was that awful shadow lurking above us. I had thought we were never going to escape.

The mogs gave up an hour or so ago, when they suddenly disappeared with no warning. I hoped, and still do, that it's because Setrakus had died. I refuse to believe he's alive, not after the fight we've all been through. I know I definitely hurt him; not many people can survive a metal pole in their chest. There's no telling what technology or resources he has on that warship, and if it's enough to save him after that, but I do know that the pole went straight into his heart. I saw it. I know I got him.

"He has to be dead," I say as Joseph straightens up, wiping his hands on a nearby cloth. "He has to be," He looks at me briefly, his face still stoic.

"You did what you had to," he says. "No matter what happens, if he's alive or dead...you did the right thing," he says. I can see it's hard for him to say that. I sit up, wincing at the stinging in my side, but it feels better than bleeding all over the place.

"If he's alive," I swallow. "If he makes it...it was all for nothing," I whisper. Joseph shakes his head, standing upright.

"Not for nothing," he replies. "We can't think like that," Before I can reply, he turns and walks to the cockpit. I know he's not angry with me at all. He's angry that he wasn't there to save Marina.

I sigh, running a hand through my matted hair. Even despite our heavy hits and potential losses, I would do everything all over again. I had to do it. If delaying our escape and our friends' survival meant that I killed the evil bastard then I would still do the same thing. So many lives are hanging in the balance with Setrakus alive. I had to do it.

Needing a distraction, I look around the main cabin; Nine had used the touch screen pads to command cots to emerge from the floor. John lies on the one closest to me and I hop to my feet, trying to ignore the sting of pain. He looks completely out of it, with blood crusting on his forehead from the hit. He's paler than normal, and sweating slightly, as he lightly shifts in his sleep. I touch his skin, taking in the warmth, and then I check his pulse; it's strong, slightly faster than normal for someone sleeping. I have a feeling that his long sleep is not because of his head wound but something else, something to do with Lorien. Whatever the case, it doesn't seem ominous.