We Will Rise

Hi guys!

Disclaimer - some words were taken from Mockingjay Part 2 film, as they were suitable for this chapter. These lines are not my work and I do not claim them to be.

Thank you all for the lovely reviews! I love getting them and hearing feedback so every little review counts! Honestly, I really appreciate every one so don't hesitate to give one haha!

So after the kiss, things will definitely be moving forward for John and Maren. It's definitely been a long time coming! xD

So after this chapter, things are going to be very intense. Lots of action, lots of fight scenes. They'll be heading into the Capital, which is essentially the setting for the end of this story. In total there will be about 20-30 more chapters. I have the action sequences and end battle all planned, but not the aftermath and since I think we'd all like it if the characters were given proper endings (instead of the rushed one in the real series) I will make sure to make the end satisfying!

Please read on and enjoy!

John

Screams fill the air as bombs rain down from the sky, hitting the ground with explosions that shake the earth. Smoke stings my eyes, blinding me, and burns in my throat. People rush by me in a panic, shoving against me as they flee to safety, and I have to fight to stay upright. Despite the crush of the crowd, despite the surge of people fighting against me, I continue walking down the long road. I head towards the huge looming temple above me, the marble red with the fires in the city, the braziers burning with an eerie light. Cannon fire races past me, sometimes singing my skin with its proximity, but I ignore it. I focus on my goal. I see him waiting for me, his staff in one hand and his sword in the other. He smiles when he sees me coming and then he turns and enters the temple. I go to follow him. I have to end this.

All around me the world burns.

I wake up.

I have that horrible feeling of disorientation, when you have no idea where you are or what's happening. My head is groggy and cloudy, even though my body feels well rested. I know instinctively that I've been out for a long time, maybe a few days even. It takes a while for my muscles to even respond to me but eventually I'm able to move my hand, twitching my fingers on the blanket. I try to shake off the cobwebs of sleep, but they cling to me, as if desperate to drag me under again. I refuse. I have to get up.

Opening my eyes, I'm greeted by the sight of a tent roof, the fabric stretched out and threaded with metal wires to keep the structure standing. Above my bed a lantern hangs from a rope, casting a bright spotlight down on me and I blink hastily, trying to get used to the light. I move my head on the pillow, taking in the rows of beds in this medium-sized tent, all but mine empty. There are a few small tables as well and the one next to mine has a full glass of water, making me realise how parched my mouth and throat feel. I sigh, trying to push myself up on my elbows and I'm surprised and alarmed by the effort that takes.

"Well, he's finally awake,"

Nine's voice greets me. I hadn't even realised he was here. I turn to see him step out from the shadows caused by the irregular lighting, and he stands by the end of my bed, crossing his arms. He grins at the look on my face.

"Byscoe," he says and I watch as a bird flutters onto his shoulder. "Go get Henri," His chimaera flies off at once, disappearing through a tiny gap in the tent's flaps.

"A bit of help?" I ask, my voice raspy and dry. He rolls his eyes but to his credit he comes over at once, easily settling me into a sitting position. I guess I should be relieved he doesn't say something sarcastic.