Final Approach

Hi guys!

Thank you all for the lovely reviews! I love to read what you have to say and to hear what you think about the story! Please keep them coming because I love them!

Answers to reviews –

- Maren had two sisters: Catia and Lilia. Catia was executed and Lilia is still a hostage of the Capital.

- Nine/Ella interactions will be included because I love those two!

So sorry about the small delay but here is the chapter!

Marina

The truck rumbles over the uneven ground, knocking us into each other as we huddle down in the back. Apart from the engine and loose objects rattling around on the truck's metal floor, it's silent. There's also the occasional clinking as a barrel of a gun or a weapon hits the side of the truck, followed by a shuffling as someone readjusts their equipment. We try to stay as low as possible in the large boot of the van, crouched down behind the high front seats so that we can't be seen from the truck's large windscreen. I doubt any mog soldiers will stop us to inspect the van – the second wave was supposed to clear out any mogs in the outskirts – but if we come across any, Anderson was eager to hide our identity. He doesn't want our enemy to know we're coming.

Anderson, Amir and Cleo are at the front, as we drive slowly across the uneven terrain to the Capital. The rest of our squad is huddled at the back and it's a tight squeeze; Maren's elbow digs painfully into my side but when I shift slightly, I just end up getting jabbed by Joseph's gun. Opposite me, Ella sits silently, her eyes shut as if she's asleep. I don't think she is though. The closer we are to the Capital, the more she seems to withdraw and huddle down and sometimes her eyelids flicker. Two soldiers sit on either side of her and I can't figure out if it's a protective measure or defensive. I guess I should just be grateful Laws even authorised her membership in our squad.

Despite the thick uniform of thermal t-shirt, jacket and combat trousers, I still shiver, partly from cold, but mostly from fear. Joseph silently wraps his arm around me, warming me slightly, and I move closer to him in response. I nestle my head in the crook of his neck, comforted by his familiar scent and his regular breathing. At least I have him.

"We're approaching base," Cleo leans over from the back, looking down on us. "Squad 223 contacted us and said it's all clear, but you should stay hidden a little longer," she says. Maren sighs audibly next to me but doesn't say anything.

"The plan is to meet the soldiers guarding the wall where we can analyse the pods in the next few streets," Anderson speaks up, his voice filled with authority. "That's how we'll move into the city. Move forward, stop and plan every few streets," Nine scowls, squished up right next to the door, and looking angry.

"It's going to take forever," he complains.

"It's either that or we get killed by a stray pod," Anderson replies. "Your choice,"

Nine doesn't reply. He knows that Anderson's plan makes more sense but it doesn't mean he's happy about it. He's always been the impulsive one and making plans is never his forte.

We lurch over another pothole and I'm knocked into Maren. I shoot her an apologetic look, wishing we were there now. We've been in this truck for hours and I'm cramped and sore, and sick of being shaken around. This isn't what I had in mind when I knew we were going to attack the Capital. The truck bounces over more uneven ground and it feels as if all my bones are being shaken in my body.

"Right," Cleo leans over the back of the seat, looking down at a clipboard in her hand. "We'll be getting there very soon, so that gives us plenty of time to film a few shots that can be broadcast before it gets dark," she explains. I can already see some of the others, Nine and Maren, starting to look annoyed. They're not happy about being filmed; they want to fight properly, without distractions.