How to Say I Love You

How do you say I love you?

Do you whisper it in the middle of the night as fog covers the moon?

Do you say it right at dawn, when the sun rises along with your spirits?

Do you say it when you're bidding farewell, or when you're greeting hello?

When is the time to say I love you, and how do you say it?

You wanted to say it all the time. There was a man who had captured your heart and you didn't want anything more than to say, "I love you," to him and hear those words in return.

You were a singer. Magic was never your strong suit and you'd grown up a muggle born, so you went into the arts as an opera singer.

As you stood on the stage, the floating candles illuminating the space around you, you sang your heart out for the one you loved. You said it a million times, I love you, but he would never hear it in your song. Unless he learned Italian. In fact, your 'stage fright' earlier that afternoon had been terror at performing in front of this man.

Because Newt Scamander was in the audience, watching you confess your love to him in a language he didn't understand.

The air bellowed from your lungs along with the enchanting music, your voice climbing impossibly high and vibrating magnificently. You didn't need any spells to make your voice louder, no, you made enough music to reach the whole city.

The violins could barely be heard over your voice as you brought it low and around, yelling into the crowd I love you. You almost wanted to laugh at how cheesy it sounded. It was like you were a lovesick teenager and this was your romance novel.

The choir was drowned out as your voice rose higher and higher in a spectacular finale. Your chest felt like it was being ripped apart from the raw emotion of your singing. It made you feel so powerful, so alive, so confident- opera was how you expressed yourself. On the stage, you were a completely different you.

You nearly doubled over as you finished the last note, taking in heaving breaths of air but smiling like the sun. You waved to the crowd, your eyes subconsciously looking for Newt. You hadn't expected him to be very interested in it (you just wanted to show him your passion; after he showed you his Beasts you decided to share with him the thing you loved so much) but he was standing in the crowd, wearing his signature blue coat and the most brilliant smile you'd ever seen. He was clapping the loudest by far, his appreciation ringing through the auditorium almost as grand as your performance.

The curtains fell and you were enveloped in shadows. Some members of the choir performing with you began cheering and clapping and hugging you. The overhead lights came on and you were overwhelmed with praise by the cast and crew.

You loved them with all your heart, but you didn't care for their opinion at the moment- you wanted Newt's.

The auditorium was empty by the time you wrestled yourself out of your friends' hands. Newt was there, though, waiting by the heavy wooden doors like he promised.

"Newt!" You called over the rows of empty seats.

It was like a picture perfect movie scene: you both ran towards each other, big goofy smiles on your face and hair flying like mad.

You met in the middle of the main aisle and Newt grabbed you in his arms, using the momentum from your collision to swing you around in glee.

"That was fantastic!" He breathed. His eyes were wild with astonishment and his tie was crooked but it didn't matter you. He thought you were fantastic. He held by your arms, for once maintaining eye contact with you for more than a second.

"Thank you," you replied shyly. It was your turn to avert your eyes.

"I mean it," he laughed. "You are amazing.

"Well, I've had lots of practice," you answered timidly.

"What were you saying?" He inquired.

Your heart skipped a beat and you froze, looking for an answer.

But your body was full of adrenaline and all you could think was that it was now of never.

"I-I was singing to you," you whispered, avoiding his gaze.

Newt's hands dropped from your arms. You looked at his face and saw the rosy blush painting his cheeks. Once again he dodged your prying eyes.

"What about?" He seemed scared to ask more.

"About-" you paused, not sure if you should continue your sentence. "-about love."

There was silence as the both of you stood there in the empty theatre. Your heart was thumping like a jack rabbit but you stood your ground, keeping your chin held high and your hands steady, because by god you were not going to let a rejection damper the joy you felt from singing.

"Do you... do you love me?" Newt finally said.

You looked into his eyes, surprised to see them staring back at you.

"Isn't that what I just said?" You stated softly. Newt's face broke out into a grin and he laughed a little bit. Taking your hands, he met your gaze.

"I always thought I would be the one to say that." He murmured. "But you're the confident one, aren't you?"

"Wha-" you were just about to reply to Newt's puzzling mutterings when he grabbed you by the waist and pressed his lips to yours.

It took you a minute to respond to the soft, tender kiss, but you wanted to cry out of joy when you took his face in your hands and kissed him back.

You didn't have to say I love you in Italian anymore, because now you knew how to say it.

You could say it out loud.