A PSA from Newt Scamander

Newt taps the camera, squinting at the blinking light. "Is this thing on?" He mutters. "Oh, good. Great." He settles into his chair, adjusting his seat and tugging at the navy turtleneck hugging his chest. "Great. Here we go."

"Dear whoever is watching this,
Hello! My name is Newt Scamander. I am a magical zoologist who just recently published a book titled Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I know that I don't know you, and you may not know me very well, but I was just browsing the internet- strange thing, really- and I've noticed something funny. I noticed that in one chapter titled 'Put the "I" in "I Love You" Part 1' in a certain Newt Scamander One Shot book, in response to a certain paragraph expressing self-confidence and self-love for oneself, there have been many responses saying that for certain readers, that paragraph does not apply. I'll read the paragraph now:"

Newt clears his throat and picks up a small slip of paper. " 'You were proud of the person you'd become. You adored yourself in every way. You loved your confidence, your poise, how smart you were and your compassion for others. You accepted that you looked the way you did and your value wasn't based on what you looked like, but what was inside of you. You were at peace with your body and you loved yourself for it.'" Newt pauses, putting down the paper and rubbing his forehead. He takes a deep breath and continues: "The author of this book would like you to know that this was published two years prior to this date, when her writing may have not been its best, and that she checks Wattpad every day and reads every single comment she receives, even if she doesn't reply to all of them. And seeing the ones saying how some of you readers dislike yourself is very upsetting. See, even if that particular piece of writing is old, the writer still believes in the sentiment expressed in that paragraph very much. And so do I. And we don't want you to feel the way many of you do."

Newt dips his head, leaning forward onto his elbows. "So, I'd just like to say to you all that I love you very, very much. Even if I don't know you, I love you. I love every oddity, every flaw, everything about you. And, yes, this is extremely cliche, but I love all those parts of you- even the ugly parts- because they make you you. They are what make you original and talented and beautiful inside and out. And because I love you, I want you to love yourselves."

If you saw someone on the street with a bigger nose or who was overweight or was having a bad hair day, you wouldn't think badly of them, would you? (I mean, maybe you would, but then your problems go deeper than what I can fix). No, you wouldn't. They're just people. Sure, they may look different, but at the end of the day they're the same as you. They have feelings and worry about their self-esteem too. What would you tell them if they told you they thought they were ugly? You wouldn't tell them you agreed. You'd probably help them, encourage them, remind them that there are so many things that make them beautiful and their face is the least important of all of those. So, if you wouldn't tell another person that they're ugly, why would you tell yourself?

From my screen to yours, let me just say that I want you to treat yourself the way you'd treat a stranger. Be kind to yourself and your body, please. Because when it comes down to it, what do you really have to gain from feeling bad about yourself? Nothing. Just icky feelings. The only people it benefits are the old rich white men who try and sell you $42 dollar foundation at Sephora. It doesn't benefit you. It just makes you feel bad about yourself, and don't we all love to feel good?

Loving yourself doesn't necessarily mean thinking that you're beautiful. It means accepting yourself for the way you are, flaws and all. It's okay to feel upset, but don't do it because the CEO of Victoria's Secret says you should. Of course, you should always take care of yourself; don't just sit around and waste away like Dougal does, that lazy demiguise. You should take care of yourself, mentally and physically, but if you exercise or diet or go to therapy do it to make your quality of life better (and going to therapy doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong with you. I go to get away from the stress of the nifflers... those little thieves). Don't do it because someone else tells you that you have to. Take care of yourself for you.

And, loving yourself regardless of what you look like would really be a pain in the ass to the snobs in the beauty industry who think you need a thigh gap to be beautiful (which, let's face it, is actually unhealthy. If you have a thigh gap you're probably underweight). So if you do it for anything, do it out of spite.

No, I'm just kidding. Do what's right for you because you want to do it. Take care of yourself. Treat yourself kindly. Tell yourself that you love yourself. Do things that make you happy and don't do things that don't. You only have so much time on this Earth, so don't spend it bringing yourself down."

Newt smiles into the camera, blue eyes twinkling and his expression full of love for all of you. "And remember that you are loved. By me, by your family and friends- just, you are loved. Thank you."

The camera goes dark. All is well.

Here are some great accounts to follow that really promote body positivity and good things in general:

-lizzobeeating, on Instagram. A bbw Queen.

-bigmouthnetflix, Instagram. Also Big Mouth on Netflix. This stupid, funny cartoon changed my life.

-coolman_coffedan, Instagram. So cute.

-dustinteractive, Instagram. Also really cute.

-respectfulmemes, Instagram. My fav.

-wholesome, Instagram. Speaks for itself.

Movies and TV shows that are wholesome and feel-good:

-New Girl, Netflix

-Brooklyn 99, Hulu (I use putlockers.com for this)

-Dumplin', Netflix

-Any Disney movie ever, especially Pocahontas (!!!)

-Shrek, Netflix (what are ya doin in my swamp)

-Harry Potter + Fantastic Beasts

- cute fan fiction, Wattpad

-Parks and Recreation, Netflix

-Stardust, Netflix

-basically any nature documentary. I like the ocean ones.

-Jenna Marbles, YouTube

-Basically any YouTuber that makes you happy. Maybe Bill Wurtz

-any stupid kids movie (e.g., Boss Baby. Yes, I watched that. Yes, it was amazing)

-cute animal accounts on Instagram

-any childhood show/movie/book that induces nostalgia

Resources:

-thebodypositive.org

-Embody: Learning to Love Your Unique Body (And Quiet That Critical Voice!) by Connie Sobczak

-SuicidePreventionLifeline.org

And, finally, if you need to talk, slide into my dms. I am always here to help you, DO NOT be shy. I'm not going to judge you. I was in a bad place concerning my body too once. I want to love and support y'all the best that I can. Thank you for reading, and I love you guys. Till next time.

-Elise