Christmas Special

I'm working on a different one shot at the moment but here's a quick cute one

You delicately picked up the needle on the phonograph and set it on the record, smiling to yourself as the sweet jazz flowed from the mysterious box. The log fire you'd lit moments before crackled and popped in time with the music. The whole apartment felt warm and cozy despite the raging snowstorm outside. You didn't mind the blizzard; it seemed perfect for Christmas.

It was the beginning of your famous Christmas party. You were known for being a die-hard Christmas fan, and the get-togethers you threw annually almost always ensued something big. For example, at last year's party, Queenie and Jacob announced their engagement. Needless to say, your parties were a big deal.

And the first guest was arriving.

There were three short knocks on the door. You instantly rushed over to get it, grabbing the knob and flinging open the door. You smiled when you saw your best friend Newt standing outside in the cold, bundled up so tightly you could just barely see his eyes poking through the layers of scarves.

"Newt! Come inside, come inside! It's freezing out there!" You ushered him in, securing the door behind you.

"Thank you," Newt said sheepishly, unwrapping his Hufflepuff scarf from his neck and pulling his hat from his head.

You brushed some snow off of his trademark navy coat. "You could've apparated, you know. Or used the floo if you really needed to." You snickered at the pile of snow that was slowly gathering on your floor.

"Nonsense, you're not too far from my apartment, and this is the way muggles do it. It's a muggle holiday, so why shouldn't I walk?" He smiled at you, hanging up his referenced coat on the rickety coat rack in the corner.

"You've made your point, Salamander. Here, take off your boats. I've got eggnog in the kitchen." You raised your eyebrows excitedly and rushed out of the room to your cozy kitchen.

"You've really gone all out on the decorations this year, haven't you?" Newt remarked as he followed you slowly. It was true, you'd gone a little overboard when you were decorating. Wreaths hung from every window, tinsel and garlands of pine leaves hung on the edges of the ceiling, mistletoe dangled in miscellaneous places around the room, and you even had a great big decorated Christmas tree in the center of your living room.

"It's not bad, is it?" You asked timidly, taking a jug of store-bought eggnog from the fridge. You plucked two glasses from the cabinet and set them on the counter.

"No, I think it's festive," Newt replied in a way that said it really wasn't.

"You are exactly right," you beamed, pouring eggnog into the two glasses. You handed one glass to Newt and held the other close to your chest.

Newt took a sip of the liquid and scrunched up his face.

"Too sweet?" You asked, taking a sip of your own drink. Newt nodded.

"Usually I love sweet things, but this is..." Newt laughed, making a face.

"Yeah, yeah. I get it, Salamander," you swiped Newt's cup out of his hand and poured it into your own glass.

"Hey, isn't that alcoholic?" Newt raised an eyebrow.

"Maybe," you grinned, taking a sip. "Now, Tina will be here any second, so let's get ready!"

~~~~~~~~~~~

The party was in full swing by six o'clock. It had gotten dark and dismal outside, but still the snow storm pushed on through the streets. It was times like those when you wished you could magic the roads free of snow. You'd had more than one glass of eggnog, and you were right on the edge of full drunkenness.