I'm Here For You

This was a request from @jocejellyfish , I hope you like it!

The letter fell from your hands and tears immediately swelled in your eyes as your brain processed the words. It couldn't be true, but it was right there: your father was dead.

A sob escaped from your throat. Your hands shook as they flew to your face, covering your mouth in shock. Your face contorted in grief and a wail rang throughout your shared apartment as the realization sunk in. Your legs buckled and you crashed to the ground, your kneecaps scraping against the harsh wooden floor. You were trembling all over; your arms were thrashing about so wildly you thought they'd fall off. You were so surprised and overcome with sadness that you couldn't even cry, just kneel there and wallow in the truth of your situation.

"(Y/N)?" Your husband, Newt Scamander, called out from the other room in a timid tone. "Are you okay?"

You couldn't say anything in reply to Newt. You shook your head, the first tears falling from your eyes and quickly turning into a steady rainfall.

You heard footsteps tread lightly on the floor as your concerned husband walked into the room to see what was wrong. His face instantly fell when he saw you on the floor, agony racking your body.

"Oh, (Y/N)..." Newt's voice cracked. He bent down to his knees, placing a hand on your shoulder. You turned your head away from him.

Somehow sensing your desire to be alone, Newt didn't ask what we was wrong. He spotted the letter and picked it up gingerly. Reading the devastating contents, his face fell. He knew how close you were to your father and how much he meant to you. He was aware that the loss of your dearest parent would leave you grieving for months.

"(Y/N)... I am so sorry..." he murmured, tears brimming in his eyes at your agony. He couldn't think of anything to say to you; everything he thought of seemed like a meaningless excuse. He couldn't relate to the situation, so what was he supposed to say?

"H-he can't be gone... not now..." you sobbed, finally saying something after what seemed like years of silence. Newt wrapped his lanky arms around your shaking frame and pulled you close to him, squishing your torso like he could squeeze all the sadness and anger out of you and your life.

"I know, I know..." Newt clenched his eyes shut and rested his head on top of yours.

"He p-promised that n-nothing would happen to him, h-he promised he'd come back!" You whimpered.

"It wasn't his fault. He... he didn't mean for it to happen. I'm sure nobody did." Newt whispered softly, rubbing his thumb across your shoulder.

"But he promised!" You cried, a sob escaping your throat.

"I know... I know..." Newt placed his other hand on your head and stroked your hair. He loved you, and seeing you so distressed was hurting him. "We... we both know that that was a promise he couldn't keep."

You buried your nose in Newt's chest, your tears staining his yellowish vest. His words hurt, but both of you knew it was true.

Newt pulled away from you, moving his hands to your shoulders. You ducked your head, letting your hair cover your tear-stained face.

"Hey... this wasn't your fault..." Newt comforted you softly. He didn't have words before, but they seemed to flow from his mouth like lyrics from an invisible artist. You pushed your hair behind your ear and swallowed, peering up at Newt through bleary eyes.

"I know," you replied.

"It wasn't your fault, or his fault, or the doctor's fault. This was a... terrible accident. And I'm so sorry it happened to you, (Y/N)."

You didn't say anything.

"I am so, so sorry." Newt seemed to be begging you to say something, to show any reaction other than pain.

"Apologies don't fix anything," you croaked, wiping the tears from your eyes with the back of your hands. A mean look overtook your face.

"You're right... they don't. Nothing will fix it." There was silence.

You were angry. The world had taken your father from you. Nothing could fix that, and you knew it. Death was the only thing wizards and witches had not overcome and you hated that, but you were organic matter. Humans deteriorate, die, and rot. It was the "Circle of Life", if you dared to call it that. Even if it was natural, you were determined to be against it. Because the "Circle of Life" had taken the thing you loved most from you. A parent, a person: your father.

"But... I want you to know that I'm here for you. And I can't fix what's happening to you, but I can be there for you. And I promise you, that I will always be there for you."

You looked at your husband, and through all the pain a deep sense of gratitude rose up.

"I love you," you smiled sadly.

"I love you too. I said so in my wedding vows," Newt cracked a smile. You laughed despite the situation. Leaning forward on your knees, you snaked your arms around Newt and held him while he held you. You let yourself feel the pain and the sadness and the anger. It was a part of life.

You weren't saying that your father's death would be easy, but somehow, with Newt by your side, the pain wouldn't be so bad. You could get through it. You could do it. You can do it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm sorry if this is too intense or brings back bad memories for some of you, I was kind of late with this because I didn't want it to be harsh or remind you of sad times.

And hey, if you guys ever need someone to talk to, I'm here for you. Pm me, or comment. I read everything (literally) and I want to get to know you; if there's anything you need to get off your chest I, and the rest of wattpad, are all here for you. 🙂

Don't forget to vote and comment!