Soulmates Part 2

Newt was in a strangely foul mood during the days leading up to the Yule Ball. Meanwhile, you were pleased to find that Adrian was positively charming, and would take every opportunity (whether it was in front of Newt or not) to tell you how good you looked on that particular day, even if he'd said it every day before.

"Who would have guessed Adrian Knight would be so... so... charming?" Arthur sputtered after a run in with him in the hall, which had left you flushed and embarrassed.

"Certainly not me." You breathed, pressing a hand to the spot on your cheek where Adrian had kissed it.

"(Y/N), can I talk to you for a second? In private?" Newt blurted out suddenly.

Taken aback, I glanced at Leta and Arthur before replying, "Sure."

Newt's eyes scanned the surrounding corridor until they landed on a door to our right. "Here," he gestured.

"We'll see you in the Great Hall." You told Leta and Arthur, who seemed happy to oblige.

Newt opened the door for you, which revealed an unused classroom. You stepped inside, observing the surroundings before turning to look at Newt.

"What did you want to talk to me about?" You asked innocently, setting my book bag on a nearby chair.

Newt seemed uncomfortable in the way he was around people he didn't know. He swallowed nervously, scanning the room with his electric eyes and fidgeting with the hem of his hogwarts blouse.

"Newt?" You probed gently.

Newt's head snapped towards me, as if suddenly noticing I was there.

"What is it you wanted to talk about?"

Newt swallowed again. "Oh, it's nothing, really-" he sighed, ducking his head. "I-I don't like Adrian."

You blanched in surprise. Of everything you had thought might have come out of Newt's mouth, those words were not it.

"You don't like him? Why?" You wrinkled your nose.

"Because... he just..." Newt rubbed his forehead. "He's just so..."

"So what?" You raised an eyebrow, crossing your arms over your chest defensively.

"So perfect!" Newt bursted, throwing his hands in the air. "I don't like it. I don't like that- that stupid little smirk he wears, and all of his compliments-"

"Newt what are you-"

"Not to mention he's a Slytherin!" Newt cried, his hands wringing in anxiety. "He can't possibly be good for you!"

"We're more than our houses, Newt." You crossed your arms and gave him a forlorn look. "I thought you'd understand that more than anyone."

Newt sighed, running a frustrated hand through his hair. "That's- that's not the point!"

"Then what is the point? Because all this looks like to me is you being jealous!" You retorted.

Newt's face flushed red. "I'm not jealous. I just-"

"-Don't want him going to the Ball with me?" You finished his sentence. "And who would you rather see me go with? No one?"