The Ethics of a Hufflepuff Part 1

You sucked on the end of your recently purchased sugar quill and stared out the massive window of the History of Magic room. You were lost deep into your thoughts, thinking of various topics: Honeydukes sweets; the Bubotuber plants you'd repotted in herbology; how you could get WiFi in the Hufflepuff common room; what kind of animal you would be if you were an animagus; if you were going to join the quidditch team; just the regular, pointless thoughts one had when sitting through History of Magic.

The quill was sweet in your mouth; Professor Binn's droning voice lulled on, and the sunlight streaming through the wrought-iron windows bathed you in warmth. You were rocked into a gentle sleep, dreaming of badgers riding broomsticks in a golden stadium during the Quidditch World Cup, Fizzing Whizbees exploding over the stands and the goalposts being replaced with giant swirling lollipops.

"(L/N)!" A voice barked, interrupting your bizarre but delightful dream. Your eyes lazily opened, scanning the room. The sugar quill was still clutched loosely in your hand, and a puddle of drool had collected right on top of a painting of "Urg the Ugly," a goblin rebellion leader.

"What?" You muttered, meeting the eyes of your fellow students, who were all staring at you. "What's happening?"

"Sleeping in class!" Professor Binns barked, looking sternly at the drool on your textbook. His dull, grey eyes met yours. "10 points from Hufflepuff. I expected better from you."

You felt as if your cheeks were boiling. "I-I'm sorry, Professor-"

He silenced you with a stern look. Then, he saw the sugar quill perched in your hand. His eyes bulged out of his head, and he pointed at the quill with such a disgusted expression you could have been holding the stinger of a Blast-Ended Skrewt.

"A sugar quill!" He shrieked. The students blanched collectively; no one had ever seen Professor Binns angry (everyone was too bored to misbehave). "What filth, what rubbish.. distracting students from my lessons, lessons that I slave over! You should be ashamed of yourself, (L/N)!" He stormed over to your desk and snatched the sugar quill from your hands. His eyes were really bulging now; it looked as if they were going to fall out. "A detention, and 40 more points from Hufflepuff!"

You gasped, your face going white. 50 collective points and a detention!

Some students snuck you looks of sympathy. Others shot you looks of disgust.

He stormed up to his desk, slamming the quill down, and pulled out his wand from the pocket of his robes. His face beet red, spittle flying from his mouth, and eyes practically popping out of his sockets, he shouted, "Reducto!" And the quill exploded. You winced.

Fortunate for you, the bell rang. "My office, 6 o'clock tonight, (L/N)! Don't be late!" Professor Binns shouted at you as you hastily gathered your things.

Shame washing over you like a tidal wave, you ran from the classroom as fast as you could, feeling like the worst Hufflepuff Hogwarts had ever seen.

~~~~~~~

"Professor Binns?" You knocked on the teacher's door timidly. It was 6 o'clock on the dot. You wanted your detention to be over with as soon as possible.

The door opened. A glowering Professor Binns looked down at you. "Come in," He said gruffly. He held open the door for you as you shuffled inside his office, feeling very guilty.

His office was very plain; a fireplace sat dormant in a corner, with a plain blue rug laid before it; a boring desk with little decoration- and equally boring chairs resting in front of it, covered in dust- sat in the center of the room; bookshelves lined one side of the office, shelved with books that you could see were organized with the Dewey decimal system. A door was partially hidden in the back of the room, which you assumed was Professor Binns' living quarters.