The Death of Newt Scamander

Muahahahahaha

It was eerily quiet when you got home. You should've known something was up. Your kids were no where to be found and neither was your husband, Newt Scamander.

"Newt?" You called as you took off your coat and hung it on the coat rack. You rubbed your forehead an yawned. The roles of mother and father were somewhat reversed in your house; You worked as an attorney for a magical law practice and Newt was a stay-at-home dad. He was taking a break in between books to spend some time with his family and help out, something you greatly appreciated.

You and him had four kids after you were married, and upon entering your humble home you were definitely surprised to hear silence instead of screaming.

But that would change.

"Newt?" You called again, getting annoyed. You wanted to sit down and cuddle with Newt while you told him about your day and he stroked your hair. You certainly did not want to have to search all over the house to do that. "Merlin's beard," you muttered.

You contemplated just accio-ing Newt to you.

Looking around your cluttered living room, seeing all the items that could crash to the ground, you decided not to.

You huffed and made your way up the stairs. "Grace?" You called for your eldest child, a girl no older than 8. She was very levelheaded and loved to help you with "grown-up things." She was a partier at heart, though, and you dreaded her teenage years.

"Artemis? Jacob?" You hollered. Artemis and Jacob were twins, both 6 years old. They had strange senses of humor but were total sweethearts. You didn't doubt they'd be successful adults, but at the time they couldn't take anything seriously. "Where is everyone?" You muttered, summiting the stairs.

"Mommy?" You heard a small voice ask. Your heart melted as your youngest daughter, Alice, came trotting out of her room. She was only four, but she had the personality of a movie star. She was sassy and tough. Coddled by her brothers, babysat by her sister, and loved by her parents she had a whole range of affection.

"Alice," you sighed, sinking to your knees to hug her. "Where's daddy?"

"I don know." She mumbled. She had Newt's frizzy, wavy golden hair and your (E/C) eyes. "Jacob an Arty and, an Gracie wen outside!"

Why didn't I check there first?! You sighed.

"Don't forget to enunciate your words," you mumbled lovingly, kissing your daughter's head. "I'll be right back."

You left Alice to her own mind in the second story as you descended the staircase. Scratching your head, you glided past the kitchen, and to the living room, mumbling about the problems at work and where the heck your spouse was.

You skidded to a stop in front of the living room almost exploded at the state it was in. The chairs were knocked over, cushions were strewn all over the room, one of the overhead lights was flickering and sparking, and there were mud tracks all over the hardwood floor.

"They are so dead," you muttered, picking your way through your massacred living room.

"Newt!" You yelled. "I don't know what happened here but you better come out right now and give me an explanation!"

You kicked away a stray pillow in frustration and blew a piece of hair out of your face.

Finally, you reached the other side of the room and opened the door to the backyard. The sun was just starting to set and golden rays beamed brilliantly onto the side of your house. Newt had demanded a big backyard for your children when you bought the home; he wanted them to have space to play and enjoy the outdoors. You didn't regret the decision; the sunlight filtering over the trees at the edge of your lawn and the flower beds kept pristine by your husband made for a picture perfect scene.

Except for one thing.

There was a high pine tree you had marking the edge of your property just before a lake. It loomed over the property like a wise grandfather clock, and usually it gave you comfort, except that moment. As you walked over to the tree what you saw scared you half to death.

"Newt?" You whispered. The white and red jump ropes you'd bought for Christmas three years before had been wrapped around his torso and the tree, fastening him to the wood. His head was hung dejectedly and he had pine needles in his hair.

"(Y/N)," his head snapped up. His blue eyes were wild with what seemed like fright and he seemed to be looking for something. "You have to get out of here, it's not safe! Go!"

"Newt, what are you talking about? And why are you tied to a tree?" You stammered, pulling out your wand. You hoped that he was just playing a trick on you.

"No, no, listen- you have to go, get away from the house, don't worry about me just go!" He rushed his words.

"Newt stop playing games. Now hold still." You raised your arm to untie him. Newt was about to open his mouth to protest when you heard it.

Leaves were crunching all around you. Slow and ominous, like a tiger waiting to strike. You and Newt were frozen in fear.

"Newt..." you muttered slowly. "Did something get out of the case?"

Suddenly, a battle cry sounded on all four sides. Short figures clad in black robes leapt out from the bushes, brandishing large sticks and rocks.

You screamed and shot a spell at Newt, the jump ropes magically untying.

"Get the kids!" You cried as Newt rushed forward and grabbed you in his arms.

"Those are the kids!" He yelled over the commotion.

You did a double take. "WHAT?!"

The figures started giggling and they advanced towards you. You and Newt backed against a tree, eyes scrunched up, fearing the worst.

That was it. You were dead. You'd survived so much and now you were going to be killed in your own backyard. At least you had Newt. At least you'd get to die with him...

Silence.

You cracked open an eye.

You weren't dead.

Where were the hooded figures?

Hugging you. They were hugging you.

You looked down, astonished. The four figures had thrown off their robes and had all of their arms wrapped around you and your husband.

"What... what is going on?" You whispered, scared out of your mind.

"The kids... they ambushed me." Newt muttered back.

~~~~~~~~

Don't forget to vote and comment! 😉

Edit: I think there was some confusion with this. I based this off a prompt I saw that was "The kids... they ambushed me" so what happened is that the kids tied Newt to the tree and scared you two yada yada Yass but I titled it "The Death of Newt Scamander" to make it seem like something bad was going to happen, when really it was just the kids scaring the reader and Newt into thinking something bad was going to happen. Sorry if there was any confusion!