8. Marcellus

Niklaus's POV

I went with Rebekah, Elijah and Caroline to Emil's funeral and that was when I saw a horrible thing happening right before our eyes, a little boy being whipped.

I stopped and so did my siblings and Caroline, then the slave boy threw an apple to the man who was hurting him, the man got angrier and got back to whipping the little boy so I grabbed a small rock and threw it against the man who was hurting the little boy, then I walked over to him.

"What is your name?" I asked him, while getting closer to him and getting his attention.

"Don't got one. Mother wouldn't name me until I get 10 and she passed away before she could name me." He said and I got in my knees so we could be in the same height.

"You are a survivor and survivors need names." I told him and he just looked at me. "How about Marcellus?"

"Marcellus?" He asked confused.

"It comes from Mars, the God of War... and it means little warrior." I said while getting up and extended my hand to him, he hesitated took my hand and smiled to me, making me smirk to him.

"Perhaps there's hope for our brother after all." I heard my brother whispering.

"I never doubt of him." Caroline whispered back, making me smirk even more and then I took Marcel so I could take care of him.

When we got to the Governor's mansion, I went to talk to the Governor so Marcellus could have his freedom and after a little convincing, and by convincing I mean threatening and almost killing him, the Governor gave Marcellus his freedom.

Caroline's POV

While Nik went to talk with the Governor, I stayed with Marcellus and tried to make some small-talk so he could feel safe and more comfortable.

"I'm not sure I should be here."

"Of course you should, this place is now a safe place and you can come to us whenever you need something." I said with a smile and he smiled back.

"So..., you are his brother?"

"What? No..."

"His wife?" He asked.

"No, I'm just a friend."

"Then why do you live with him and his siblings?"

"Because they are my family. Family isn't just about blood." I said and he smiled.

"Marcellus, I just spoke with the Governor and you have your freedom." Nik said with a smile while coming from the Governor's office, making the boy smile widely, which made me smile too.

I like seeing this side of Niklaus, the one where he doesn't mind to show that he cares about others.

"I am going to give you some privacy now." I said and gave them a smile before I would go see Rebekah.

She was fragile at the moment and I want her to know she can come to me whenever she needs.

Niklaus's POV

"She is really nice." Marcellus said when Caroline left the room.

"Yes, she is." I said more to myself, then looked at Marcellus and asked him about his father.

"The last time I saw my father was when he gave me to those men..." He said looking down.

"You might not know this, but family can be more than just some those with whom they share blood, we can choose." I said and he seemed touch by my words and then he accepted in living with me, my siblings and Caroline.

***

After I made sure that Marcellus was sleeping, I went back to the living room and Caroline was the only one there.

"Where is everyone?"

"What? Am I not good enough?" Caroline asked, faking to be hurt, and then smiled and added. "Your sister doesn't wish to be bother, she is still dealing with Emil's death, Elijah is in the library and the Governor was tired so went to his room."

"And you are here because you couldn't fell asleep until I tell you what is going to happen next." I said.

"How do you know me so well?" She asked with a smile and I smirked to her, then we seat in the couch and I told her all about Marcellus and how he was now part of the family.