18. Chicago

AN: I'm sorry if it's not a really good gif

AN: I'm sorry if it's not a really good gif. It was the first one I ever made.

Klaus's POV

We were now in Chicago. Caroline helped Rebekah get settled and tried to calm her down, while I was in the living room, drinking some scotch.

"Rebekah is finally resting." Caroline's voice appeared, making me turn to see her.

"She didn't deserved this. None of you did. We had a place we called home and I found a way to ruin everything... again." I said trying to fight my tears.

The tears were from sadness, pain and disappointment with myself for never being able to let things go right.

"It wasn't your fault. The blame for what happened was Mikael and no one but him." Caroline said while walking over to me.

"But we both know why he wants to destroy me and everything around me..." I said.

"yes. But it was him who chosen to stay with his revenge fantasy instead of enjoying the good things life can offer us. It was him who decided to live a life of revenge. Not you." She said.

"How can you say that after everything that I have done in all my immortal life?" I asked and got a little closer to her.

"Because after everything, you are still the caring and protecting man that you were when we were human. We all did things we are not proud of, but I'm sure that no one would be as strong as you to be able to deal with all this life. I admire your strength and your courage." She said looking me in the eyes.

I could see she was being completely honest and I couldn't help it, all my feelings that I have been repress it for her over the centuries were boiling back and I couldn't fight it anymore, I kissed her.

"We..." She said when we broke the kiss. "We better get some rest. It was a long day and... Goodnight."

With that she left to her bedroom and I stayed there thinking about the kiss and how I probably ruin everything with Caroline too.

***

The next day, Rebekah spent all morning crying in her bedroom and now she went out for a 'drink' and Caroline and I had still not spoken about the kiss or any other thing for that matter.

When Rebekah left, I decided that it was better to talk with Caroline and try to fix what happened.

"I'm sorry about last night. I know that we always have been friends and it was not my intention that things would became weird." I said.

"No, it's okay. I just... I didn't know what to do because you were in some dark place and I didn't want you to feel rejected but I also didn't want to ruin our friendship and... I'm sorry for not dealing well with what happened."

"You handle it well and... wait. Last night it was a pity kiss." I asked now upset because I didn't want anyone's pity.

"No."

"Then what was it?" I asked now curious.

"I don't know. It was something that happened in the heat of the moment." Caroline said.

"Are you saying that you wanted to kiss me?"

"And? You wanted to kiss me. It was you who started."

"I won't deny that, love." I said and smirked with the memory I had of our first kiss. "Do you remember our first kiss?"

"Don't remind me. I was being such an insecure little girl that day."

*Flashback*

I was with Caroline in our secret place, in the middle of the woods and Caroline was telling me about her first real kiss with Richard.

"I'm sorry, love, but I am not seeing the problem here."

"He was the first man I kissed for real. What if it was bad? What if I'm horrible at kissing and he will end everything?" Caroline asked.

"I'm sure you are not horrible."

"Thank you but how would you know?" She asked.

"Fine. We can kiss and I tell you if you are or are not good at kissing." I said and she rolled her eyes.

"We cannot do that. We are friends and friends do not kiss. Besides, I'm with Richard and I love him, I'm not going to kiss another man just because of my worries. I am not going to betray him."

"It was just an idea, love." I said and then she looked at me and took a deep breath.

"Alright. Let's do it."

"What?"

"Let's kiss."

"Are you sure about this, love?" I asked.

"Yes, but let's do it before I regret it." She said and so I leaned in and we kissed.

At first was a gentle kiss but quickly became a passionate kiss and a part of me didn't want to end it, it begged for more, but other part of me knew that our friendship was more important.

"You have nothing to worry about, love. You are an amazing kisser."