55. Needing Space & Rejection

Caroline's POV

I met Brad at a park so we could talk about yesterday, but things weren't going as smoothly as I hoped.

"Brad, Nik is just a friend and he is like family to me. I had to stay with him and make him come back to his senses."

"Why was your job to do that? Why couldn't be one of his siblings doing that?"

"Because I was the one there. But that was just it. Please try to understand it."

"I try. I have been trying since I met you but... I don't want to be with someone who has feelings for someone else."

"Brad..."

"Don't. I know what you're going to say. Maybe you and Klaus are just friends and I'm the one who's making this a big deal but there's also a chance that you still have feelings for him. I really like you but I don't want to be with someone who doesn't want me. I think we should get a break..."

"What?"

"A break to make us see if this is what we want. If I am really okay with you going to Klaus whenever he needs you. And for you to see if you really don't have unsolved feelings for Klaus." Brad said.

"How long do you intend to have this break?"

"I don't know... I need time to think and so do you." He said and I left from there as fast as I could, got in a dark alley and cried.

I know I wasn't his girlfriend for a long time but I thought he could be my new chance of an happy ending in love.

After crying for awhile, I went to the mansion and quickly went to my room so no one could see that I was sad. I was hoping to have some alone time but someone knock on the door.

"Love, are you Alright?" Nik asked when I opened the door and in the next second I hugged him.

"What happened?" He asked once he got in the room with the door closed so no one could ear us and after waiting awhile for me to calm down.

"Remember that I told you about Brad wanting to talk to me?" I asked and he just nodded. "He asked for a break. He wanted space and time to see if we were really ready for this. This was probably just a nice way for him to prepare me to have him breaking up with me..."

"Don't say that. I'm sure he will go back to his senses and beg you to take him back."

"How are you so sure?"

"Because it would be what I would do if I had the chance to have you back." Nik said. "You are an incredible woman and any man would be lucky to have you. I'm sure he will soon realize that."

"Yeah right..." I said.

"Love, you can't doubt yourself like that. You are such an amazing woman..." He said and I gave him a peck in the cheek. "You are strong, and confident, and honest..." He said while I gave him pecks on the cheek and jawline. "You are amazing..."

I eventually kissed his lips but he quickly broke the kiss, making me look at him with a frown.

"For how much I would love to kiss you and much more... I'm not going to do it. You're vulnerable and I'm not going to take advantage of that."

"I can't believe you! First you kiss me when you know that I have a boyfriend, now that I don't you are rejecting me. I don't get you."

"Caroline, I love you. I've always loved you and I will love you forever. That's the reason I'm not going to take advantage of what's going on with you to have the pleasure of pleasing you. If I will get another chance to be with you for real, I want you to really want that. I am aware that you care for that wolf and I understand you're going through a hard time but I won't use that to my advantage. I won't do that to you." He said and I was perplexed with his words.

He isn't the kind of guy who doesn't take an advantage when he sees it, most of our immortal lives I saw him doing something that could hurt someone or ruin their lives but he did not care about it because it would make him get what he wanted but now he was being the selfless Niklaus I fall in love with when we were human.

"I love you, Nik." I said and kissed his lips, when he was about to break the kiss, I pulled him to me and he kissed me back.

"I really needed this." I said and wasn't only talking about the kiss. "I have stuff to figure out."

"Is there anything I can do to help you?"

"No. This is up to me."