Chapter 17

Enjoy :)

"Asami. Let go!!".

Asami dragged Korra out of the carriage, holding her by one of her wrists.

"Come on, Korra".

"Your highness!!", Korra shouted, looking around. "Wait!!".

Asami looked at her, turning around.

"Why didn't you tell me you were royalty??", she asked.

Korra bit her lip. "I can't tell you. I just can't go back".

Can't go back??

"Why??", Asami said, her grip on Korra's wrist loosening.

Korra looked away. "I can't-".

"Yes, you can", Asami said. "Please, Korra. Why can't you go home??. Why??".

"Because I'm protecting you all", Korra blurted out.

Asami gave her a confused look.

"What are you talking about??".

Korra sighed. She looked up at Asami, her mouth open but she hesitated. Asami took her hand.

"Let's sit down", she said.

Korra nodded. "Yeah. I think that's a better idea".

Asami led her back to the carriage. The two climbed in. Sitting down, Asami turned to Korra.

"Alright", she said. "Tell me as much as you can. Please".

Korra looked at her lap.

"Unaloq is my uncle".

Asami gasped, her eyes widening. The man that had tried to kill her was related to her??. Asami was terribly confused and shocked but nodded for her to continue.

Korra began to fiddle with her apron as she spoke.

"I remember when I was young, I.......".

Korra let out a nervous giggle.

"Well let's just say becoming a servant wasn't my idea".

Asami pieced together what she meant.

"You were forced into it".

Korra nodded. "Yes. I was taken years ago. My uncle had tried to kill me when everyone was asleep".

She shrugged. "I guess it was so his son could become king and inherit the throne. I'm an only child so any of my cousins could take the throne if I couldn't".

"That's horrible", Asami said, shaking her head.

Korra sighed. "But I got away. I climbed out of my window and ran as fast as I could. I ran and ran and I didn't stop. I remember walking down the empty streets of the kingdom. I was so tired after running for so long. My legs were burning although I was a pretty active kid. That's when I was kidnapped. A man snatched me up that night and took me. He was a slave collector. You know, the person that kidnaps the people to sell them into servitude".

Asami hadn't known about any of that. Before her father bought Korra and all the other servants, Asami never knew anything about slavery or how it worked or anything. Now she hated it more than ever.

She couldn't imagine what Korra had went through. The fear she felt after everything she went through that night. A little girl being taken from her family.

"Then I was sold into slavery. I knew that if I told anyone I was a princess, that would just cause more problems for me. If I were to be suddenly rescued, I couldn't go back home. If my uncle thought I wasn't coming back, he'd leave it alone. But if I ever went back, which I had plenty of opportunities to do so, I'd put everyone in danger".