Chapter 43

Enjoy :)

Korra let out a breath. She looked down at her dress. Her maids were helping her get dressed and ready for the big day ahead of her. Today was possibly one of the most nerve wracking days of her life. She'd be crown queen today.

Her heart was already pounding in her chest as her outfit was out together. She knew she shouldn't be this nervous, but she could help it. She'd be queen in just a few short hours. Queen! That's a big responsibility. Korra had learned everything she could about being queen that her teachers could cram into her brain. She'd stayed up late at nights with Asami and their friends trying to learn about trades and learn the laws of her kingdom and everything about the duties she'd have as queen.

Senna would teach her things she should know like, for example, how greet other officials. It was a pain in the neck for Korra to remember not to bow to anyone. Her mom had to remind her whenever she did so happen to do so, much to Korra's frustration. It wasn't her fault. She'd grown up learning to bow to everyone she met. It was a tough habit to break, but eventually she got it down.

She only had to give a curt nod of her head. Easy enough.

Another thing she had to learn was table etiquette. Sweet gods. Korra had to learn which spoon to use for what foods, how to properly eat those foods. Her teachers were a pain in the neck. They would get frustrated after a good 20 minutes of trying to explain it to the princess. Korra just didn't get it.

What was the difference between the two forks?? They're both forks and have the same purpose. Why make it so complicated??. Just pick one and that's it!

Senna had to eventually teach Korra herself and Korra was grateful that it was her mother. The soon to be former queen made it fun for her by turning it into a memory game.

As Korra studied, her mom would tell her and Asami stories of when she first became queen and all the major mistakes she'd made. It helped Korra to know that even someone a wise and seemingly perfect was once just like her. A disaster just waiting to happen.

But all in all, Korra eventually got it mostly all down. Of course she'd still have her lessons like math, geography, science, social skills (requested by Asami) and such after the coronation as well, just to expand her knowledge. She felt ready for this.

Except for right at this moment. Korra fidgeted in her spot. Her bottom lip was being torn apart by her teeth. Her hands were playing with a small towels she was given to keep her hands off her dress.

"Your highness."

Korra looked down. One of her maids, Lolita, was staring up at her from her kneeling position. The middle aged woman was smiling.

"It'll be alright. Now, stop chewing on your lip. You're bleeding."

Korra immediately released her lip and pursed them together. A stinging feeling on her bottom lip told her that she was, in fact, bleeding.

"Sorry." Korra sighed. "I don't mean to be difficult."

"You're not being difficult," Lolita said, shaking her head. "You're nervous. That's completely normal. But I have faith in you. You'll do just fine today."

Korra was thankful to have people like her around to help her when Asami and her parents weren't around. She smiled gratefully at her.

"Thanks. That means a lot."

Lolita gave a nod and got back to work.

"No problem, princess."

Korra did her best to stay still until the women finished getting her ready. A woman styled Korra's hair so the crown she'd receive could sit comfortably on top of her head and still have her short hair look good.

Korra was impressed by the end result. She looked at herself in the mirror, grinning. The women stood back, looking at their work with pride.

"You ladies really outdid yourselves," Korra complimented. "This looks almost as great as my wedding dress".

She spun around, getting a full view of herself. She had to admit. She looked good in a dress.

"Thank you, your highness," the women chorused.

"And just like your wedding dress," Lolita added in, "this dress was made to make you look like a true future ruler. We're sure that everyone will think you're absolutely beautiful in that dress, your highness."

Korra stared at her reflection. She was going to be queen. Queen Korra.

Korra's smile faltered.

"Then why do I feel like I'm not fit to be queen??".

Korra felt a hand on her right shoulder. Looking up, she saw Lolita standing there. Her blue eyes had nothing compassionate and comfort in them.

"Do these doubts have anything to do with your past years of servitude??", she questioned.

Korra nodded. "Yeah".

Lolita smiled. "Your highness. I know you've been told this a million times. Your past does not define you. Your past is not today. You're not a servant anymore".

Korra sighed. "I know I'm not. But why am I still stuck feeling like I am??. I'm a princess about to become a queen but yet I still feel like dirt compared to you all".

"Just remember", Lolita remarked. "We don't think of you that way. None of us do".

A knock at the door grabbed their attention. Lolita looked at one of the other maids and motioned for her to go get the door. The woman hurried over to the door and peeked out.

She opened it all the way, letting someone in and bowed. Korra's mother walked in. She looked at Korra and smiled.

"Oh. My little girl is all grown up", she said with a sigh.

Senna walked up to the group of women, reaching out her hands. She took Korra's hands in her own. She examined her only daughter, beaming with joy.

"You look so beautiful, Korra", she said. "Just beautiful".

Korra blushed at the compliment. "Thanks, Mom".

"Well then it's time for the ceremony", Senna announced. "Whenever you're ready".

Korra took a deep breath and exhaled.

Senna sense her daughter's nervousness. She squeezed Korra's hands.

"You can do this, honey. I know you can".

Korra nodded. She took another deep breath, gathering up all the courage she had in her. She exhaled and nodded.

"Alright. Let's go".

So yeah. I hope you liked this :) I'll be gone this weekend for a church thing and I won't have my phone with me so I won't be able to update this weekend of read any of your comments or messages until Sunday afternoon.

So comment on this and tell me what you think about this chapter :)