Chapter 27

Enjoy :)

Korra looked in the mirror as she brushed her hair. She could hardly keep the smile off her face as she got ready that morning. Today was the day her parents were going to take her to the village for the first time since she got back.

Korra couldn't wait to see everything and everyone. Her father had warned her that there may be some people that may not be so nice to her or may want to hurt her so she'd have to be with Asami and her friends the whole time. Korra happily agreed, understanding completely how mean and inhumane people could be in the world. She reminded her parents that. She wasn't stupid.

She was nearly killed by her uncle three times in her life.

The world was a terrifying place but it wasn't all bad. There were still goodness in it. Trolls and sirens weren't a part of that equation but fairies, mermaids, elements controllers, pixies, some magic wielders, and a lot of humans were the good ones.

But Korra knew she had to be careful. Asami told her not to bring anything valuable with her or anything worth stealing. Korra took the warning and didn't put on any jewelry, not that she'd wear it anyway. Jewelry was not her thing.

Korra out the brush down. She hummed quietly to herself as she looked around the top of her dresser. She picked up a white handkerchief. She expertly tied it around her hair like she'd done a million times.

She looked herself in the mirror, looking for anything she missed.

"Korra??".

Korra turned around. She saw Asami standing in the doorway, obviously not expecting it to be her.

Korra smiled.

"Hey".

Asami closed the door behind her. She walked up to Korra.

"What are you wearing??".

Korra was wearing her old clothes. Her slightly torn blue shirt and brown pants, and her white apron that she worn over her pants.

Korra spun around, arms outstretched.

"I'm blending in", she said.

She looked down at her clothes, wiping off imaginary dust.

"I don't want to seem like I think I'm suddenly better than anyone else. I'm not trying to make myself seem like I wanna be put on some pedestal".

Asami smiled. As much as she didn't like Korra wearing lose clothes, she understood why she wanted to wear them.

"Plus", Korra added, "if I'm not hurting anyone or getting hurt because of wearing these clothes then I don't really see any reason I shouldn't wear this. No one's gonna tell me how I dress as long as I don't look like a slut or look like a beggar on the street, right??".

Korra looked to Asami for confirmation.

"Yeah", Asami said. "You're right".

Asami's eyes roamed over Korra. She brought a hand to her chin.

"Hmm".

Korra raised an eyebrow.

"What??".

"You'll need a cloak", Asami said. "At least something so people don't recognize from far away. The less people recognize you, the better".

Asami waved her left hand. Magic flowed from her hand, swirling around it. A baby blue cape appeared in her grasp.

She smiled and walked up to her.

"Here".

She took the cape and put it on Korra's shoulders. She took the strings on the neck area and loosely tied it into a bow.