Chapter 36

I hope you guys like this chapter because I don't think it makes sense. Enjoy it anyway :)

Korra had half a mind to throw Varrick off a cliff. The man was downright rude.

He was basically like every other master or mistress Korra had except he didn't hit her at all. He only yelled and ordered her around. Korra had noticed right away once she got there was the fact that she was the only slave in his gigantic mansion. It was ridiculous.

She did all the work by herself. She was worked to the bone everyday, cleaning and washing clothes and fixing up the bed and serving food and such. Korra had fallen into a routine fairly quickly. The food wasn't that bad either. Just like the other masters, he fed her once a day at dinner. Some days her dinner consisted of oatmeal, steak, masked potatoes and fruits. Korra had to admit it was quite a different kind of food she wasn't used to eating as a slave. Some days it'd be cold mush but Korra was used to being fed garbage prison food and gulped it down till nothing was left.

Varrick had given her a cot and a pillow to sleep on. Korra's tiny room was empty and was more of a closet than a bedroom but Korra was okay with it.

In her opinion, the only one meaner than Varrick was the man he put in charge of Korra. His name was Tamako. He had no soul and treated Korra like every slave master she'd ever had in the past.

He yelled at her and pushed her past her limits and physically pushed her around and talked down on her, making that she knew how worthless and stupid she was.
He reminded her how illiterate she was and how that made her useless in society and that deserved every bad thing she got.

Korra continued to put on a brave face and just kept doing her job. She was used to it all. She never gave up hope and continued to be kind and held her tongue with him and everyone around her. It was easier to do so as she got older.

She got used to the lifestyle. She was pretty sure she'd never get out of that hell so she made the best of it.

She made friends.

Varrick's personal chef, Iako, and Varrick's personal assistant, Zhu Li, who Korra was sure had a crush on the moron who obviously had a crush on her back, took a liking to Korra. The two were so awkward when near each other. Zhu Li always tried to make the man see she liked him but Varrick was painfully oblivious.

Every so often, when no one was looking Zhu Li would help her out with a chore or get something she couldn't get in her own. The older woman was extremely nice to her.

Korra was grateful for them both. It helped to know there were still good people out there.

But through it all, even as months turned into years, she never gave up hope. Korra still dreamed of the day her and Asami would be together again.

Korra was currently sweeping the halls. It had taken an hour and a half just to get this one hallway done.

Korra stopped to rest her tired arms. She exhaled and leaned her head on the room. She was exhausted already from all the work she'd done.

"A little more help would be great", she mumbled to herself.

"Get back to work, slave", she heard a voice bark.

Korra raised her head. Tamako stood there, arms crossed, a scowl on his face.

"Sorry, sir", she said, immediately getting back to brooming.