3

Throughout the rest of the day, I felt scared yet excited at the same time. Scared that Rosa would think I'm weird, but excited that we were going to spend some time together. I invited some of my other friends though so it wasn't weird. By 4 o'clock I was home and getting showered when my phone rang. It was Maia. She was going to take Lucas to my dad's because she was coming with me tonight. Eli and his girlfriend, Chelsea are also coming. Rosa texted me that her cousin and her best friend are coming along. 7 people, that shouldn't be awkward, right?

By 5 o'clock, Maia, Eli, and Chelsea were at my house. We were getting ready to get into my truck to head to the restaurant. Rosa texted me saying, her Kaila and Kimberli will be there around 6. However, I live further from the restaurant than Rosa and it's rush hour.

"Maia! You look fine!!! You look perfect! Let's go." I pulled my best friend's arm, whining like a child.

"But, but-"

"No buts about it. We have to goooooo."

"Fine, but only because I love you." Maia kissed my cheek and for some reason, I blushed. She didn't notice, but Eli raised his eyebrow at me. I mouthed 'Later' to him and he nodded and got into the back of my truck. Chelsea closely followed him, leaving Maia and me in my doorway.

"Lucas is at my dad's right?"

"One, great time to ask babes and two, of course. He's there for the weekend. Your dad said, and I quote 'I miss my baby grandson' end quote. "

"Right! Okay, go go go. I just have to lock up then I'll be there."

"Okay, Lyr." She bounced away to the passenger door and hopped in. I locked up my house and took 3 deep breaths. I am going to hang out with a girl that is pretty attractive. And when I think about her, I get these feelings in my stomach. What the hell does this mean?

..........

Maia, Eli, Chelsea and I arrived a little before 6. Rosa, Kaila, and Kimberli were already sitting at a table. Kaila waved to us, telling us to sit with them. We walk towards them and sit down. Chelsea gives me the 'are you okay' look because I guess I looked uncomfortable. I wasn't actually uncomfortable, in fact, I was so excited, but I was nervous she wouldn't end up wanting to be friends. I know that sounds juvenile, but it's how I'm feeling right now.

"So, Lyric." Kaila started grasping my attention. "How long have you worked for Carter?" We all called our boss, Derek Carter, by his last name, of course not to his face.

"A few years I guess. I've never counted how long. I think I started right after college. I had a general studies degree and had no idea what I was going to do. I had a baby to raise, on my own. And-"

"Wait you have a kid?" Kimberli looked really shocked and I shifted my weight toward Eli.

"I told you she had a son Kimberli!" Rosa raised her voice at her getting everyone's attention.

"I thought you were totally kidding Rosa."

"Why would I joke about her being a mother."

"Oh um-"

"Just be quiet Kimberli."

Kimberli stood up easily since she was on the end of the booth bench, "I think I should go." She walked out of the restaurant not looking back. Rosa didn't look remorseful, and I felt kind of happy that she stood up for me, a near stranger, to her best friend of at least 5 years.

"I'm sorry I caused a scene, guys. I'm usually not that short-tempered" Rosa's cheeks grew red in embarrassment. "Kimberli and I got into a little disagreement earlier and I'm still kinda upset with her."