30

"Really?" The small girl asked skeptically.

"Yes."

"You want me?"

"Why wouldn't we sweetheart?" Rosa said kneeling down next to me.

"Because," she said looking at her feet.

"Sweetie, we promise to love you forever and ever and never let you go. We wanna take you home with us where you will be safe and sound and loved. And you'll have two little brothers and a little sister. They are sitting over there," Rosa pointed over to the twins and Luke.

"Rosy I'm gonna start the paperwork, how about you introduce Laelia to the kids and I will be right back," Rosa took Lily's hand and walked over to the kids. I could hear her talking to the kids behind me.

"Laelia this is Luke, he's five. These are the twins, Elena-Josefina but we call her EJ, and Matias, but we call him Matty. They are one."

"So I'll be the oldest?"

"Yes."

"Does that mean you'll love me less?"

"Of course not!" I said turning around.

"Of course not," Rosa touched her shoulder, making her flinch. "Honey are you okay?"

"Yes ma'am."

"You don't have to call me ma'am. I'm gonna be your mommy."

"Okay," Laelia made shapes on the ground with her feet, swinging her arms back and forth.

"Excuse me Miss?" I whispered to Mrs. Diaz.

"Yes, Ms. Johnson?"

"What has she been through?"

"Would you like me to give you her file?" She motioned at Ms. Rodrigo to retrieve it from the small filing cabinet behind her.

"Oh, um, sure." Ms. Rodrigo pulled it out of the drawer and I noticed it had a little bit of thickness to it.

"Here's her file Ms. Johnson," Ms. Rodrigo handed it to me over the desk.

"Oh, um, thank you."

"You're welcome," she said sitting down.

"Um, Mrs. Diaz?"

"Yes ma'am?"

"This file has some weight to it."

"Do you have a question Ms. Johnson?" I rolled my eyes at her.

"Do you think she's an at risk child? Do you think she'll try and run away?"

"Most children who come here are "at risk" children. We are the adoption center for those kids that no one wants. With time I feel that Laelia could be a budding young girl. All she really needs is love. That's all any of these kids need," she teared up a little bit.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Diaz. You seem very invested in the children."

"If I could adopt them all I would, but my husband and I already have six children. We did adopt a boy a few years ago though."

"That's very noble of you."

"Thank you Ms. Johnson. Actually, here," she reached below her desk and grabbed a pamphlet. "This is a support group for adoptive parents. I go there sometimes to just listen. I think you and your wife could benefit from it."

"Mrs. Diaz?"

"You are very invested in these children."

"Is that a bad thing?"