24

"Carina, I am so sorry. You really didn't know?"

"Mija I'm just finding this out! I wonder why Rosa never told me?"

"Maybe she was too scared."

"I always tell her that she can tell me anything."

"Maybe she was too scared of Alex."

"That's a possibility. But when did this happen? I was always with Rosa, I saw her everyday. I never let her out of my sight."

"Carina, you are a businesswoman, didn't you go on a lot of business trips after Gabriel died?"

"Ay Dios mío! I never thought about that! Why did he do this!? Rosa is his daughter! Why would he hurt her like that? This is all my fault!" Carina started to cry.

"Carina please don't cry. None of this is your fault."

"Lyric, you're just saying that."

"Carina, I'm not, this is not your fault. It's Alex's. He's a horrible person."

"I just hope Rosa has been okay all these years. I'm worried about her now."

"Remember what you told me when Rosa went comatose?"

"No what did I say?"

"Rosa is a fighter. She has always been a fighter."

"Just like her mother?" She looked glum.

"Just like her mother." I touched her arm reassuringly.

"Thank you Lyric."

"Don't mention it C-"

"Excuse me, Ms. Johnson." Nurse Garcia touched my shoulder from behind. "I need you to come with me."

"It's okay. This is Rosa's mother."

"Oh okay, both of you can come with me." Carina and I followed behind her closely. When we got to Rosa's room she was sitting upright holding Matty. Both of them appeared okay.

"We really have got to stop frequenting this hospital." Carina lightly chuckled after Rosa said that. "Rosa, love, how are you feeling?"

"It's just pain. Pain I could handle. Losing him." She gestured to Matty. "I wouldn't have been able to deal with that."

I moved closer to her and whispered in her ear. "Rosa, the doctor told me what your father did to you when you were younger. I really wish you would've told me."

"I didn't want you to think I was used and dirty."

"I would never think that. I would've just wanted to help you. I can't do that if you don't tell me." She dropped her head. "Look at me Rosa. I'm not going anywhere."

"Mija, why didn't you tell me?"

"Dad told me not to or he would hurt me again. He told me I wasn't allowed to have sex with anyone but him and not to mention it to anyone but him. He said if I told, he would hurt you. I didn't want you to get hurt Mami. I just wanted you to be happy."

"How could he do this? I'm getting him arrested."

"Mami..."

"No! No Mami, nothing. He could do this again to another little girl. I'm not letting him get away with this." She stormed out of the room pulling her phone from her purse. As she left, a very pregnant Chelsea and a very sad looking Eli rushed in.

"ROSA!" Chelsea yelled, but then saw Matty. "Sorry, Rosa!" She whispered.

"Hey Rosa." Eli gave a small smile. Rosa waved and smiled. I pulled him to the corner of the room while Chelsea and Rosa talked.