17

**Matías in the media**

"Shhhh, EJ, Mama's here. I'm right here babygirl." I bounced her on my hip.

"Mama, can I hold her?" Luke looked at me quizzically. He had just woken up and was already a bit hyper.

"Okay Luke. Sit in the rocking chair for me."

"Okay, Mama." He plopped in the bright pink rock chair that stood adjacent to EJ's crib as he reached for his little sister. Matty was still asleep.

"Okay, you be very careful okay."

"Okay." I handed EJ to Luke. I heard a camera snap from behind me. Turning, I saw Rosa standing in the doorway.

"OH MY GOSH, my babies look so cute!" She came over to me and hugged me. "Thank you for creating this family with me. I love you so much Lyric." I pulled her closer and kissed her making her giggle.

"EWWWWWW! ABUELA, MOMMY AND MAMA ARE KISSING!" Luke screamed laughing. How in the world could Matty sleep through this? Carina ran into the room to see what was wrong.

"What happened mi nieto?" she said looking at us with worry.

"Mommy and Mama were kissing and you missed it." he said with a sad face. "You told me to tell you when they did so you could take a picture."

"You wanted to take a picture of us kissing Mami? Why?" Rosa was slightly confused, and honestly so was I.

"Mija you two are adorable, and I'm making a scrapbook for you two, I needed more pictures so I put Luke on a mission."

"Did I do good Abuela?"

"You did amazing Lukey. Let's go downstairs and eat okay?"

"Yes Abuela." Carina took EJ out of Luke's arms, and handed her to Rosa. Then she walked Luke downstairs to breakfast. Rosa sat in the rocking chair with EJ. She started to get fussy, so I ran downstairs to get her and Matty a bottle. When I came back to the nursery, Rosa was holding both EJ and Matty, and she was singing to them. She was such a great mother. I knew she'd be a perfect mom, when her and Luke met. I quickly took a picture and sent it to Carina.

"Love do you want to take them downstairs? You need to eat baby."

"I know babe, I just don't want to leave them."

"We can take them with us and put them in their playpens. They can play with their toys."

"Okay baby." I took EJ out of Rosa's arms and went downstairs. Rosa followed shortly after with Matty. We sat them down and gave them their toys. I had to literally pull Rosa away, so she could eat breakfast. She seemed to never want to be away from them. She looked so scared throughout breakfast. She kept getting up to check on them.

"Rosalina! Stop being impatient. You're shaking the table because you keep bouncing your leg. The babies are gonna be fi-" All of a sudden Matty started to cry and Rosa quickly got up and ran to his rescue.

..........

"Mami, did you get all of your clothes last night from the hotel."

"Yes, mija. Everything that I took to the hotel is upstairs in my new room. It wasn't a lot though. Your father refused to let me keep most of them."

"Why not?" I questioned. This wasn't the Mr. Alex that I knew.

"He didn't want me to step foot in HIS house again."

"His house?" Rosa fumed.

"His words not mine." Carina shrugged. I could tell she didn't wanna talk to Rosa about this.

"Mami, I can get your clothes."

"What do you mean?"

"I'll go and get them from the house."

"What if he doesn't let you in?"

"I still have a key."

"Really, mija?"

"Yes, mami. I want you to have your clothes."

"They're just clothes Rosalina."

"But they are your clothes. Some of those clothes I bought you."

"I love you mija."

"I love you so much."

"Carina, I'll drive her there. Will you watch the kids?"

"Of course."

"WE LOVE ABUELA TIME." Luke shouted laughing.

"Luke, what about EJ and Matty? How do you know they love abuela time?" Rosa looked at him.

"How do you know that Luke? They can't talk yet." I looked at him quizzically.

"I just know Mama."

..........

I pulled my truck into the gated driveway. Rosa's security code still worked. We quickly slipped out the car and Rosa started to get anxious.

"Baby please calm down. I don't want you to have another panic attack."

"Lyric, I know, I jus-"

"I know."

"You know."

"It's gonna be hard to face him. You haven't seen here in almost 10 months."

"What if he hates me?"

"Then he's a terrible person?"

"Is that a question or a statement?"

"I really don't know at this point."

"What do you mean?"

"The Mr. Alex I knew was such a warm person. He was always making people feel comfortable. He was the one professor you could go to for everything."

"I wish he was like that at home."

"I'm sorry."

"Well here goes nothing." Rosa slipped her key in at the exact time someone turned the doorknob. The door opened and a beautiful woman stood. She has tan skin like Rosa's, but you could tell she wasn't of Latin descent. She has brown and blonde hair with eyes like the ocean. She was beautiful, but I love my Rosa.

"You must be Rosa."

"Who are you? Does my dad know you're here." The woman laughed. Instantly, Mr. Alex arrived at the door.

"Rosa! What are you doing here?"

"I came to get my mother's belongings. Now who is this?"

"Rosa, this is Alana-"

"It's so nice to finally meet you." Alana smiled.

" -your stepmother."