22

"MAMA!"

"Luke why are you screaming? I'm just on the other side of the pool."

"But Mama, I'm over here!"

"And I'm over here Luke."

"MAMA! One of us is in the wrong place. And it's not me."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Like this." He splashed the water and it came all the way over to me. "See, Mama. That wouldn't happen if you were over here."

"Shall I come over there?"

"YES! Mama that's what I've been trying to tell you!"

..........

"Carina! We're home!"

"My babies!" Carina ran past Rosa and I to get to Luke and the babies.

"Damn. Mami. Don't Lyric and I get some love too?"

"My grandbabies need my love first."

"Come on, Rosa. Since Carina is gonna give her grandbabies love first, let's go see what's in the kitchen to eat."

"I'm starving."

"Mommy, I don't think you are starving." Luke craned his neck around Carina to talk to Rosa.

"Figure of speech Luke."

"I HATE FIGURES OF SPEECH AND SAYINGS." Luke shouted causing us to laugh.

..........

A knock at the door woke me out of my sleep.

"Coming." I dragged myself down the stairs turning on all of the lights. Opening it I got a big surprise. "Kaila?"

"Can I come in?"

"Of course." She stepped in the house and because it was dark outside I didn't notice her face. "Kaila!

"I finally left him Lyric."

"Did he do this to you?"

"I waited until he was asleep. He got really high last night and that makes him sleepy I guess. It was just after midnight when I packed all my things -- my clothes, my shoes, my electronics -- and I was on my way to my car. He woke up and dragged me back into the house Lyric. He beat me for what felt like hours."

"Did he do anything else?"

"He tried to." I nodded understanding. He tried to sexually assault her, but knowing Kaila -- she finally drew the line there.

"Kaila, why didn't you come to us before?"

"I was afraid. I didn't want to seem weak."

"You are not weak. You put up with him for a long time. He could've killed you though."

"I know. I'm so sorry I didn't listen to you."

"Don't worry about it. Don't worry about a thing. Where were you going Kaila?"

"I don't know. I just knew I had to get out of there."

"If you don't mind me asking what was your tipping point?"

"The other day I heard him on the phone with his brother, and his brother asked about if he would marry me. He laughed and said why should he marry me if he's getting sex for free now --- that he doesn't even love me. He always told me he did but he was just lying to me Lyric. I feel so dirty and used. He made me leave my house and move in with him. I have nowhere to go."

"Kaila, I'm so sorry. Here how about you take a nice long shower and I'll make us something to eat."

"It's 3am."