11

Monday morning was hard. Luke was fussy and I was sick to my stomach about seeing Rosa at work. After she left I put Luke to bed and I just cried all night. I finally fell asleep around 11. Maia's mom, Ms. Mia, came and picked up Luke. She usually watches him because she works from home now. Driving to work was really hard because I just kept crying. The passenger seat still smelled like her. I looked over to see her black and white snapback on the floor. Damn, I missed her so much. I pulled into a parking space and got out of my car. I walked into work and immediately started to cry.

"Lyric!" Eli appeared next to me. "Babes, what's wrong?"

"Rosa."

"What about her?"

"She's gone."

"YOU KILLED HER?"

"No. She left me."

"Lyric, what happened?"

"I told her I thought Luke loved her more. Luke even said so. I guess I just forgot he's 2. She moved out and everything."

"Well, you need to get her back Ly-"

"Ms. Johnson, in my office." Our boss called me.

"What the hell does he want?" Eli said rolling his eyes.

"Now, Ms. Johnson." I walked into Carter's office and sat down in front of him. "I'm sorry to say, but I have to let you go."

"What? Why?"

"You are causing a disturbance here in the office."

"What do you mean?"

"See, Alex Flores is a dear friend of mine."

"Say no more. I understand."

"You are terminated effective immediately. You can pick up your last check from Susie in HR." He handed me a box to put my stuff in.

"Thank you sir." As I left his office, tears streamed down my face. I put the pictures of Luke and Maia carefully as to not break them. I put all my supplies and lei I kept on my drawers. The last thing on my desk was the picture of my mom, Miracle and I at my 14th birthday party. That was the last birthday I got to spend with my mom.

I heard Eli start to yell. I looked up to see him yelling at Rosa. She had tears in her eyes. She tried to walk away but Eli pulled her arm.

"Rosa, I get that you're upset. But this is a job, okay? This is her livelihood. You may be mad at Lyric all you want, but the bottom line is, how the hell is she suppose to provide for Luke now? Jeremiah doesn't help. She is the ONLY one providing for him and now she can't do that all because your damn feelings are hurt. I would expect this from Kimberli, but not from you Rosa. I had a lot of respect for you. You didn't have to do this." Eli walked away with actual steam coming out of his ears. I didn't know what to do, so I just went to my car. I couldn't go home, there was no one there. I couldn't stay here. I went to the only place I could. The cemetery. I walked up my mom's grave and sat down.

"Hi, Mom. I know I haven't been here in awhile. It's just been so hard. Luke's getting so big. I don't know what to do about Miracle. She's out of control. I'm worried about her. I'm worried I'm gonna get a phone call that that boyfriend of hers killed her. Then there's dad. I think he and Ms. Fiona are together. Her son's no good. And it's weird because they are Luke's grandparents. I felt like I disappointed you when I got pregnant. Not because I was having a baby, but because it was by Jeremiah. He's the kind of boy you told me to stay away from, but I was young and dumb in college. I was intrigued by the 'badboy' lifestyle and I got sucked in and knocked up. Then I found the love of my life. Remember Rosa? She's Mr. Flores's daughter. Well, she was perfect mom. I loved everything about her. Dad and Luke even loved her but now it's over. All because I thought Luke loved her more than me. He learned to call her Mommy. Yeah mom, I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her so that's what I told Luke to call her. She loved him so much and did everything for him as if she were a real mother. It made me so happy how well they got along. But he started wanting to be with her more than me and I started to get jealous. I was giving him a bath and Rosa walked in. Luke immediately started calling her and asking her to pick him up so I walked away. Rosa got worried so she took Luke out of the tub and ran after me. I told her that she was a problem and that I didn't want Luke to love her more than me. Then I locked myself in the closet. Yeah I know that was a bit childish. Rosa then thought the best solution would be for her to move out and leave forever. She left the house crying and I couldn't even care enough to stop her. On top of that, I got fired today because I guess Rosa told her dad what happened and he told our boss because they are good friends. Now I don't know how I'm going to take care of Luke. What am I going to do Mom?" I started to cry until I saw someone walk in my vicinity. I looked up to see it was Rosa. I hid behind a tree and watched as she stopped in front of someone's grave. Then she started talking so I listened to what she was saying.

"Oh abuelita I don't know what to do. I thought she was the one. I guess I'm never gonna find the right woman. Abuelita you always said "you'll know that you've found the one when you feel sparks fly every time you see each other." Well abuelita I felt that and she's gone. I did something really stupid. I walked out on her. She thought her son loved me more than her. That's not possible right? I mean he's only 2 so he doesn't know any better. I don't know why she would ever think that. Plus at the time, Lucas and I had only known each for less than a day." I stumbled and hit the tree. The noise caused Rosa to look around. "Lyric?"

"Um, hi. Rosa." I ran to my truck and cried onto the steering wheel. Rosa got in the passenger side and took my hand.

"Lyric we need to talk."

"About what Rosa? You left me!"

"I left because I thought you wanted me to. I didn't want you to hate me. Lucas is only 2 he doesn't know any better. I bet he nods to everything."

"I know and I'm sorry I overreacted, but why did you get me fired!?"

"I didn't mean to. I went to Kimberli's to see if she would let me stay there for a bit but she just threw things at me and told me to leave her alone. Then I went to Kaila's, but she had her boyfriend over. Then I decided to go to my parents'. I had to tell them what happened and my dad overreacted. Then today Eli started yelling at me and gave me a reality check, so I marched into Carter's office and begged him to give you your job back. I explained everything to him and he even gave you a promotion but in exchange, he fired me. I don't want your life to be over because of me." She started to cry. "I'm sorry Lyric."

"I can't do this right now." Rosa got out of the car and I sped away. As I turned the corner out of the cemetery a giant truck slammed into my truck. The last thing I saw before everything went black was Rosa running to me.