10

We had just finished lunch and I was putting everything in my truck while Rosa played with Luke. Rosa picked up Luke and walked over to me.

"I love you both so much, " Rosa said kissing Luke's head and my lips. We get into the car and I start to drive home. Rosa and I hear Luke talking so we turned down the radio and stayed quiet so we could listen. Luke has always had trouble speaking, but he said 'Mama' twice.

"M-m-mo-mom-mmy" Mommy? Was he trying to say Mommy? I had only ever heard him say 'Mama' before and he could say it perfectly fine.

"Baby? Did he just say Mommy!?"

"I think so!"

"Oh my gosh!" She started freaking out and I held her hand to sooth her.

"Calm down babe. I know this is new for you, but you are gonna have to learn that freaking out won't get you anywhere. It's okay to get excited though." All of a sudden, Rosa's phone rang which made us both jump. Her ringtone was an upbeat Spanish song and it made Luke laugh and clap. Rosa picked up her phone and saw that it was her parents. She pressed the answer button and put the phone to her ear.

"Hola Papa y Mama cómo estás? ... Quieres que vaya ahora mismo?...Si, si yo habré terminado...Okay hasta luego!" She hung up and the phone and looked at me with a smile. "You two will be meeting my parents today!"

............

We pulled up to her parents house. They wanted to have a late lunch. Rosa walked up to the door and unlocked it with her spare key.

"Mama! Papa!"

"Rosalina!"

"Te extrañé mucho!"

"Te extrañamos también. Cómo ha estado trabajando el trabajo y cómo está tu relación con Lyric?"

"Ah, muy bien!"

"Lyric how are you sweetheart? I haven't seen you since graduation day!"

"I'm doing great Mrs. Flores. How are you?"

"I'm doing fine thank you."

"So Lyric." Mr. Flores starts, "I see you have taken a liking to my daughter. She's a gentle girl so please don't hurt her."

"PAPA!" Rosa yelled punching his arm.

"And you must be Lucas." Mrs. Flores said picking him up. "He's so beautiful Lyric."

"Oh. Thank you."

"Now let's sit down for lunch." said Mr. Flores. Mrs. Flores sat Lucas down in a highchair.

"Mama that's my old highchair! You kept it all these years?"

"Yes Mija. It holds precious memories."

"Awwww Mama you're so sweet."

"El almuerzo se sirve!" Mr. Flores said sitting down the food.

"Lyric, this is arroz y frijoles con pollo!" said Mrs. Flores. Rosa looked over at me and saw I had a confused look on my face.