27

"Mama! Wake up!"

"What Luke?" I said rolling over and groaning.

"It's Mommy's birthday!" I shot up. Two weeks had gone by and I had only about a week left of my recovery. Rosa walked in the room with Matty in her arms. She sat next to Luke and I.

"Good morning my loves. You guys are up early."

"Same to you babe."

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY!!!!" I could tell Rosa was taken aback by Luke's sudden outburst because she literally jumped. Honestly so did I.

"Thank you Luke, but honey I need you to stay quiet because EJ is still sleeping and Matty has a fever."

"I'm sorry Mommy," Luke got up and hugged Rosa. Rosa turned her head and kissed Luke. I quickly took a picture.

"Happy birthday babygirl," I said motioning her over to me. "Give me a kiss birthday girl." Rosa leaned down and kissed me.

"I'm gonna put Matty back down for a nap, he was up all night," Rosa walked over to the playpen she brought, and laid Matty down next to EJ. "Luke, get off of Mama like that, you might hurt her," Rosa sat in a plastic chair across from me and Luke climbed into her lap. She wrapped her arms around him and she scooted her chair closer to my bed. "How did you sleep baby?"

"It was okay, I really miss holding you in my arms at night."

"Aw baby I miss it too," she said blowing kisses.

"How did you sleep love?"

"Not well. I was up all night with Matty. Dr. Norris kept me awake so I could keep an eye on him. I didn't wanna fall asleep."

"I'm sorry love."

"No Lyric it's okay. I just want Matty to get better."

"You're such a great mother."

"I try my best," she said leaning over to kiss my cheek.

"What are you gonna do for your cumpleaños?"

"Stay here with my family!"

"You don't have to. You could go out with some friends."

"All I want for my birthday is to be with you and the kids my love."

..................

We were watching a movie on the tv on my hospital room when there was a knock on the door. Rosa took Luke off her lap and sat him next to me in my bed. She got up and answered the door, and almost immediately Chelsea, Eli, Kaila, Carina, Kimberli, Maia, and Ms. Mia came in the room.

"Happy birthday Rosa!" they all said in unison.

"Oh...um thank you...but you didn't have to."

"Nonsense mija! Of course we had to!"

"Mami-"

"Come on Rosa. Have a little fun!" Kaila said hugging Rosa.

"Okay," Rosa said giving in.

"How about we eat some cake," Eli said hugging Rosa.

"Chelsea? Kimberli? Maia? You guys came?"

"Why wouldn't we?" Kimberli said hugging Rosa.

"Chelsea hates me, you and I are on weird terms, and Maia and Lyric are on weird terms."

"Rosa I didn't mean all that stuff I said. I was just looking out for Lyric."

"Chelsea you really hurt me."

"I'm sorry. I will do anything to make it up to you."

"You know what?" Carina started. "Let's just forget about the past, and enjoy the present. It's Rosalina's birthday, for God's sake! Let's celebrate!"