Chapter 9- Tempting Truth

"You think you're smart do you?" My eyebrows are raised at the audacity of this man. His features simply show amusement, he was enjoying this, much to the annoyance of me. "Wipe that fucking smug look off of your face, arsehole." I ventilate my anger as he proceeds to hoot.

"Sexy attitude, baby." His friends laugh, resulting in a harsh glare from me. His words cause anger to rise once more, after the incident with Damon last night, on top of no sleep and the fact that right now, I'm surrounded by self-pity, you could say I was not in the mood. "Don't ever proceed to touch me again." My words were simple, short and stated my demands clearly.

Some men just can't keep their bullshit hands to themselves. If this was any other day, I wouldn't have coped, after what almost happened... But right now, those nightmarish memories were long gone, clouded by anger, hurt and exhaustion. He gripped at my arm, honestly I was seconds away from spitting on the man when all of a sudden someone appears to the left of me, punching the rude perpetrator (of general dick-ness) to the ground.

My saviour straightens up, sending a dangerous look to the remaining crowd of arseholes, before turning to me. Great, Carter. My eyes close and I inhale deeply, sending out a mental prayer to those I've lost. If someone's watching over me, please, just this once, make sure Damon's not here. An amuse chuckle rises in front of me "A thankyou would be nice." Carter laughs, before dragging me away from the men who were now shouting curses at me and my hero.

Carter merely ignores them, he knows they'd run with shit in their knickers if he turned around. Hell, everyone knows. Secretly though, I wished he would have turned to them suddenly, the satisfaction of seeing them freeze in fear was eating away at me.

"Thanks Carter, but I can carry on by myself from now." I inwardly slapped myself at that, Carter was a friendly man, and he had just helped me, I shouldn't take out my heartbreak on him. He turns to face me in the light, stopping outside a shop entrance. Only now do I notice the black eye he supported on his left socket. Another fight?

"Actually, I was looking for you." I frown at this. Why on earth was he looking for me? I nod my head, urging him to carry on. He stares in my eyes for a while, a serious expression painted on his face. Suddenly he bursts, sighing "I'm sick of this constant bullshit Saige." What?

"Excuse me?" I reply, shocked and obviously confused. I'd say I was mutual friends with Carter, but I don't see him enough for any 'bullshit' of mine to be constant. He sighs, brushing a hand through his hair. "I mean with Damon." He grunts out, not making eye contact.

I freeze at this. Just the very sound of his name had my toes curling and uncurling. "I don't know what you're talking about." I grumble in return. "Yes you do, last night, he came back... Saige, I've never seen him so fucking angry, he started punching the walls, and then well..." He flicks his wrists to himself.

"He gave you the black eye?!" I gasp out in shock. Carter nods slightly, awkwardly laughing. Damon punched Carter? "But why?" I question, everything was just too confusing. And what did any of it have to do with me, well, maybe it did have something to do with me, but why was Carter here?

"You honestly have no idea?" His irritation was eating away at him, as if he had hoped he really didn't want to tell me what was coming next, so I spare him the need. "He's made his feelings quite clear to me, while having no regard for my own, he's just used me, again. But I guess I should have learned that after he fucked Jessica all them-" Suddenly he interrupts me, bursting his words out swiftly.

"He didn't have sex with her Saige!" It almost appears as if a huge weight had been lifted from his shoulders, like the information eating away at him all these years had at last settled. However, his muscles slightly tense when he notices my frozen stature. "I'm going to get fucking murdered for telling you this, but it was all an act Saige, he hates Jessica!" He laughs during the last part.