27.

Karin Mendez

"You alright?" I heard somebody ask me as I kept my head down.

"I'm fine." I muttered frustratedly writing on the white balloon with the black sharpie.

"He's in a better place now." They rubbed my back as I saw a tear fall on the balloon which I quickly wiped.

"Are we ready now?" I heard my dad yell as I finally looked up.

I knew my eyes were bloodshot red but I didn't care right now. They were laying my brother to rest and I wasn't feeling positive about that. I had just saw him and it was so shocking how fast he left this earth. My dad and Cassie were taking it well by trying to be strong for us but they were the only ones. Justin, Quincy, Christians mom, a few relatives, most of the school and of course Justice was taking it harder.

The funeral was packed with a lot of relatives and his friends. From the football team, teachers and his classmates. Nobody knew what happened but let's say bullets don't have a name on it. I hoped and prayed that this was a dream but sadly it wasn't.

I gripped the end of the string tightly and dropped the sharpie on the ground. Before they released the balloons into the air I quickly read over my message.

Dear big brother,
It's crazy how I was just joking with you earlier and that fast you broke my heart.
I guess it was your time but I want you back.
I'll miss your jokes, our fights and most importantly you.
I wish I could just talk to you one more time and hear your voice.
Heaven couldn't wait for you.
Get your rest baby. I love you.
- Love, your little sister❤️

I wiped my face and realized that everybody released the balloons into the sky. It was the perfect time because I was the last one so that means he'll get my message since I was the only one who thought about writing too him.

I blew out a breath before tying my jacket around my waist entering the house. People around me were talking but all I did was block them out. My chest was burning and I couldn't breathe when reality finally hit me. First I lost my mother, now my brother was gone. When was my life going to stop kicking my ass?

I went into the hallway bathroom and rested my hands on the sink. My hands started shaking as I pulled the faucet up watching the water pour out. I splashed water on my face before taking a deep breath and going into my room.

I looked around the room in disbelief and shook my head. My door burst open as Justin came in with a baseball cap hooding his eyes. I scrunched up my face as he fell on my bed and started crying.

"I fucked up Karin." He said running his hands down his face.

"What do you mean?" I asked handing him a tissue off my nightstand.

"If we would've never went to that basketball court Chris would've still been alive. This shit is all my fault." He sobbed out not caring that he was looking soft.

"Don't start the blame game now because you didn't release bullets in Christian. What happened exactly?" I looked at him blankly.

"Once we got to the court we played a game one on one. He beat me then we played another game. Then somebody I knew named Tevin came up and asked me where his shit was. I've been selling drugs on the low but don't tell pops." I took a deep breath and nodded my head.

"He kept asking me where his money was and I told him I didn't have it on me. But in reality Calvin had it so I was covering up for him. So he said until he got his money he wanted the shoes I had on so we started fussing. Christian got in the middle of it and offered a game. Long story short Christian beat him in basketball and Tevin got mad then shot and killed him." He stated as I looked at him shocked.