Chapter 1

Princess Alice was day dreaming while she was reading on her stone, rose covered balcony

Princess Alice was day dreaming while she was reading on her stone, rose covered balcony. She was dreaming of what life would be like if she were more than a princess and what it would be like to have more freedom. "Have you ever wondered what it would be like if you were someone else?" the young princess asked her maid as she closed her history book.

"Why yes Alice, I often wonder what it would be like if I had decided to stay on my parents' farm, but I wanted to serve my kingdom to bring wealth to my family. If I hadn't, we would've lost the farm, our entire life," Maid Lydia answered. Maid Lydia came from a middle class family that wanted more wealth. When she was a young girl of 8 years old, the landlord said her family could have more land if Lydia worked as a Royal Maid. Over the years, Lydia rose through the ranks of maid-hood, sending most of her money to her parents and since Lydia was so dependable, her parents were paid a pretty penny to keep her there.

"I can't help but wonder if I was meant to be more than a princess," Alice wondered out loud. She was having trouble accepting the fact that being a princess, and soon to be Queen, was all she was meant to be.

"Of course you were! You're meant to become a great leader that a whole kingdom would want to follow in life, and in death," Maid Lydia answered with a reassuring smile. Princess Alice smiled, but still thought about the possibilities. "Now, tell me about what you read?" Maid Lydia quizzed the Alice. It was part of a princess's duty to know the history of her kingdom.

Later, Princess Alice took a long walk through the castle. "If I were to be more than a princess, what else would I be?" she thought. "I could be a riding champion, a florist, a writer, maybe I could design dresses for poor? Hmm...or maybe? No, they'd never approve and who would want a princess like that? I'd be too fierce and unapproachable." The princess was lost in her daydream and didn't realize the time until she smelled food from the grand kitchen. "Oh no! I'm late! Mother is going to be mad!" Princess Alice hurried to the grand dining room. She took her spot at the long mahogany table and placed her napkin in her lap. "Am I late?" Alice asked her father. King Bard smiled and replied,

"Not this time my little princess, but a moment later you would've been in trouble." Alice sighed with relief and her mother briskly walked in.

"My dear child, it's so good to see you were able to make it in time to at least one meal," her mother smiled as she sat down. The Queen lightly banged her shiny silver fork on her glass cup, signaling the servants to serve dinner.

"How was your history lesson this morning?" the King asked Princess Alice.

"Um, well, it was very...informative," Alice slowly said.

"A princess never say 'um' Alice! Always use your words! And don't put your elbow on the table!" Queen Rosalind scolded. Alice frowned as she removed her elbow and laid it in her lap. "My dear, one day you will be Queen one day and a Queen must talk with authority and surety. She must also have perfect posture at the dinner table."

"I can't wait to be Queen then," Princess Alice said sarcastically. The Queen gave her a deathly glare and Alice quickly took a bug bite of her food before she said something else that would get her into trouble.

"How was dinner my lady?" Maid Lydia asked when Princess Alice retired to her room for the night.

"The usual scolding from Queen Rosalind," Alice muttered as she changed into her night gown. Maid Lydia playfully rolled her eyes.

"Your mother is only doing what is best for you, but she often forgets how easily bored you get."

"Yes, she does. If only she knew how badly I wanted an more adventure in my life," Alice agreed.

"One day my princess, one day."