Chapter 45

Princess Alice slowly opened her eyes and smiled to herself when she felt a hand gently on top of hers. She nuzzled her head into Derek's chest and lightly squeezed his hand to let him know that she was awake. "Good morning sunshine," he said. Alice laughed. "How did you sleep?"

"Well, but I guess that's to be expected when I'm with you," she answered and then tilted her head to look up at him. Derek smiled and the princess could see the light pink blush on his cheeks as he peered into her eyes. Derek leaned down to kiss her and Alice happily kissed back. Their kiss intensified until there was a knock at the door. "Who is it?" Alice called.

"It's Thomas." Derek looked at Alice.

"He can keep a secret, don't worry," he reassured the princess's unspoken worry.

"Come in," Alice granted, pulling herself away from Derek. Thomas opened the door and stopped in his tracks, letting his jaw hang open when he saw who was with her.

"Hey! Move it! I have news to you know and-...oh," Jacob said as he pushed his way past the dumb-stricken boy. "Thomas!" he whisper scolded as he hurriedly closed the door.

"What?" he asked confused.

"You can't just leave the door open like that when Derek is here keeping the princess company. Imagine what would happen if they found out he was even in here at all, much less sharing a bed with their daughter," Jacob pointed out. By this point, Alice and Derek had crawled out of bed, amused at the little quiet conversation between the two knights.

"What are you doing here anyway?" Thomas was curious.

"I asked him to stay with me for the night so I could actually get some sleep. You know how nerves get on the eve of a possible battle," Alice said.

"Oh sure, because we all know what that's like," Jacob agreed sarcastically. Alice's friendly tone changed to a serious one.

"Oh, Alice, I'm sorry if I offended you, I was-" Alice cut Jacob's apology off with,

"It's not that. We don't know when they're going to attack and then makes things scary."

"You've got me and the whole Royal Guard beside you. Nothing is going to happen," Derek reassured her as she put his arm around her shoulders. Alice returned the gesture and pecked him on the cheek. She cleared her throat when she saw the knights' uncomfortable faces.

"Why are you here exactly?" the princess asked.

"King Bard wanted to meet with everyone over breakfast in the Map Room to go over the plans," Jacob announced.

"I just wanted to make sure you knew that I got Lydia and Ryan to the safety of the farms on the Western border," Thomas informed the princess.

"I better get dressed them," Alice thought aloud. "I'll meet you there," she told the men. Jacob and Thomas nodded as they started to leave. They turned back and glanced at each other when they realized Derek wasn't following them out. Jacob suddenly gave Thomas a mischievous smile and Thomas grinned his understanding, the two closed the door and quickly toppled down the stone stairs. Derek leaned on the door frame to the princess's closet with his arms crossed and watched her try to decide what to wear for the day.

"Listen, I know it might be dangerous out there, but do you think we could go riding and have a picnic lunch after we're done discussing battle plans?" Derek asked. Alice stopped to think about it for a moment.

"Sure," she smiled, "then that means I'll wear my riding dress," she pulled out a white dress that tied behind her neck and was mid calf in length, holding it against her body. "What do you think?" she asked.