Chapter 18

"Is something wrong mother?" Princess Alice asked at breakfast the following morning.

"What was that little act of yours yesterday afternoon during your dancing lessons?" Queen Rosalind asked.

" I don't know what you are talking about," Alice shrugged, lying as she took a bite of her muffin.

"You know very well what I am talking about regarding Captain Riley." Alice tensed up, afraid of what this might turn into.

"What is your mother talking about?" King Bard asked. Alice looked down at her food.

"I needed a dancing partner and didn't know who else to ask," the Princess explained truthfully.

"I do not want you getting anymore outrageous ideas from that man, do you understand?" the Queen scolded.

"Yes mother," Alice lied. Alice was leaving her morning meal when her father called her.

"Prince Rorick will be joining us sometime again this week," King Bard informed her. The Princess rolled her eyes as she turned away.

"Wonderful, I am SO looking forward to it," she said sarcastically.

"I would like to accompany you to your training lessons if that is ok," Maid Lydia asked.

"Jacob is back this week, are you sure you are ready to face him again?"

"I have learned how to handle myself from your example," Lydia said. Captain Riley was already waiting with the group of Guards Alice had come to know.

"What is this? A formal welcome?" the Princess joked. The men chuckled and shared joyous glances. "What is this really?"

"We have all agreed that you need to ditch the dresses and wear something that'll help you fit in better," Derek told her, "So, we were able to get these special for you," the Captain handed Alice a stack of clothes. Princess Alice unfolded them to find a casual shirt and pants.

"Thank you," she smiled gratefully as she inspected them.

"You can change in the armor room," Derek nodded. Maid Lydia stared at the ground, realizing she was left all alone. Thomas couldn't take his eyes off of her as she made her way to the shady pillar and sat down.

"Go talk to her lad, I can tell you want to," Sam nudged Thomas.

"What makes you think she would want to talk to any of us after the way Jacob treated her?"

"Because face it, you do not look like trouble," Sam encouraged him.

"Hello miss," Thomas greeted Lydia cautiously.

"Hello," she returned the gesture.

"Why do you stay in the shadows?" he asked curiously. Lydia shrugged.

"I do not want to get in the way and I am afraid of getting hurt," she answered as she watched swords clang against each other.

"There is nothing to fear here and do not be afraid, I will protect you," Thomas said. Maid Lydia glanced up at him. "Allow me to show you our ways," Thomas offered a hand to help her up to which she gladly accepted.

"I want to learn, but for a Maid of the Princess it would not be appropriate," Lydia said.

"Nonsense! Everyone has a right to know how to protect themselves, even if they are a woman. Alice is proof of that," Thomas said glancing at the Princess as she sparred with Captain Derek and others.

"I do not wish to be a burden," Lydia admitted as she played with a strand of her hair.

"It would not be a burden to teach you; it would be my honor. Are you ready to learn the art of the sword?" Thomas asked, offering his swords handle to her. Lydia shyly accepted the weapon and looked it up and down.

"Yes, I think I am," she replied.

"How did you know these would fit me?" Princess Alice asked as she lunged at Jacob.

"I spoke with your Maid, Lydia about what she could do to help," Derek answered.

"These are really comfy and I see what you mean about me needing to move around more freely," Alice said as she tried a kick at Hue, who blocked it with his shield and then came in with a sword blow that Alice expertly spun away from.

"You are getting better," Hue commented. Alice smirked and kept sparring. When Jacob begged for a break, they stopped for water.

"Well well well, look at what we have here," Larry pointed out as he waited his turn at the watering hole.

"What?" Jacob asked. Larry nodded his head toward the shady pillar and Alice wiped her mouth in the back of her sleeve to see that Lydia had a sword in hand with Thomas over her shoulder, guiding her how to swing the sword with his hands over hers. The two of them laughing when Lydia swung her sword too fast and almost fell, but Thomas caught her and the look between the two of them could not have been more obvious.

"They're in love," Alice breathed shocked.

"Oh, young love," Hue sighed, "I remember my daughter having that same look when she was about that age."

"Yeah well, it looks like an aweful lot of flirting to me and those swords aren't going to sharpen themselves," Jacob grumbled as he threw his shield down and stomped over to the pair. Captain Riley stepped forward to break up what would probably become a fist fight, but Larry stopped him.

"I'll handle it," he said. The Princess, Captain, and Hue watched as Larry stopped Jacob before he even got to Thomas and smiled gently when she watched Thomas bid her Maid farewell. Maid Lydia watched him go until he rounded the corner and looked to her Princess. Alice gave her a wave and Maid Lydia put a hand over her heart as she dramatically slumped against the pillar, sword still in hand. The group of looky loos laughed.

"They're so adorable!" Alice thought aloud as the men cleared out. Derek came up beside her and squeezed her hand.

"That they are," he agreed. Alice smiled once more and then broke the hand holding to pick her sword and shield back up.

"Will you spar with me please? I haven't sparred with you in awhile and I do not have much time left before I have to go," Alice begged.

"Since you said please, I guess I can," the Captain teased, earning a playful punch from the Princess.