Chapter 32

Princess Alice slept well that night out of pure exhaustion. She knew that the day would be busy, everyone would be everywhere, and the castle halls would be loud. For today was the prince and princess's engagement ball and all of the rich peoples of both of the kingdoms were invited. Alice happily volunteered to design and held set up the decorates and to pick out all of the best foods from their kingdom, much to her mother's happiness. "No no no! This simply is not right! I asked for there to be assorted colored roses at each table for center pieces, not two colors of roses and the vases were supposed to be blue," the princess ordered her servants around. "The banners are magnificent!" she exclaimed happily as they were being temporarily tacked up. "Tables have white doilies underneath the vases, good, and let's see, it looks like all of the chairs have been set up. Wait a minute! WHERE'S THE CHAIRS THAT GO ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF THE DANCE FLOOR?" Alice bellowed.

"My my, you certainly know how to take charge," Queen Rosalind greeted. Alice pushed a strand of stray hair behind her ear as she sighed.

"I'm already exhausted and I haven't even had lunch yet," the princess complained.

"If you would like, I could take over long enough for you to eat," her mother offered.

"Thank you," Alice breathed. "There are supposed to be at least two more colors of roses coming in for the center pieces, more chairs are to be set up along the outskirts of the dance floor, and make sure the banners match the design I drew. Oh! And also have the silverware committee start setting the tables and perhaps the platters can start being placed on the buffet table," she told her mother.

"Alice, before you go," Maid Lydia stopped her at the door, "Captain Riley would like to meet you in the garden," she whispered. Alice smiled, finding some new energy in her as she raced to meet him.

"Derek!" she welcomed him with a hug, "You have no idea how stressful it is to plan big events here at the castle."

"I'll bet. Is your mother driving you crazy yet?" he asked.

"No, actually she's kind of sat back and let me handle things for a change; it's kind of nice." All of a sudden, Alice's stomach started growling. She put a hand over her stomach embarrassed.

"I guess it is a good thing that I packed a pick nick lunch then," Derek picked up a straw basket.

"Awww, you didn't," Alice said sweetly.

"It was Lydia's idea really, but I thought you would like it," he explained.

"I wuv it!" Alice complimented, already taking a big bite of her sandwich.

"I also wanted to bring you out here because I have a surprise for you.

"Really?" she asked in between bites. After the two had finished eating and cleaned up after themselves, Derek led her to the Royal Courtyard armory.

"Ok, close your eyes," Derek told her and when she did, he took her hand and placed something in it. "You can open them now." Alice looked at the item in her hands and smiled knowingly at the light blue sword sheath. She took the sword out, admiring the detailed work on the hilt and holding it up to see her own reflection peering back at her.

"It's so shiny," Alice breathed.

"That would be because it has never seen a battle," the Captain laughed. The princess swung it around a few times and laughed at the whooshing sound it made. She let her fingers brush the smooth material before placing it back in it's sheath.

"Thank you Derek," she said full of gratitude.

"You're welcome."

"Can I keep it here for now? With your armor and stuff perhaps? My mother would be most unpleased if she saw me walking around with this, on today of all days to," Alice asked.