Chapter 6

Princess Alice cried all through the duration of  Prince Nickolas's funeral. Word had already spread of what happened and there were even rumors going around that Alice herself had killed him. In efforts to cover up the sad story, the Prince's body was brought back to his own kingdom and was buried with the rest of his line. Normally, the young princess wasn't much for drinking, but today she felt the need for rum. "Did you know him?" a red headed man asked Alice. She shook her head.

"No, I didn't know him very well at all, but I sure wish I had gotten to know him," she answered.

"So would I," he answered with the same sad tone in his voice. "I'm Prince George by the way."

"Princess Alice," she said quietly. Prince George raised his eyebrows.

"So you are the one?" Alice gave a small nod. "I'm terribly sorry, but perhaps if you allowed me to join you for dinner tomorrow it would make things better." Alice looked at hm incredulously.

"Did Queen Rosalind send you?" Princess Alice asked angrily.

"She said maybe if you met someone else right away, it would ease your mind and from the looks of you, you definitely eased mine," Prince George answered as he looked Alice up and down. Alice looked disgusted.

"Take that dirty mind of yours and stick it someone else's gutter," Alice said coldly as she took a bottle of rum and went to mourn behind the funeral canopy. She shook her head as she began to chug.

"Princess Alice? What are you doing hiding behind here?" Alice looked over to see the Captain of the Royal Guard from her kingdom approaching her.

"My heartless mother is trying to find me dates, DATES! Can you believe her? And at a funeral for one of which died?" Princess Alice complained.

"Even I would have to agree on how low that is," the Captain agreed, Alice took another drink.

"Why are you back here anyway?"

"Your parents are ready to leave and got worried when they couldn't find you," he answered.

"Better finish this before we hit the road. I'd hate to see what mother would do if she saw me drinking like this. Probably scold me more about becoming of age and stuff," Alice hiccupped.

"Ok princess, that's enough for you," the Captain carefully took the bottle out of Alice's hand and threw it away from her. Alice found she couldn't walk straight and had to rely on the Captain to support her. "Up you go," he said as he opened the carriage door for her and offered his hand to help her up. Alice sat down with a frown on her face and slouched against the window. It would be dark by the time the returned.

To Alice's relief, her mother never said a word about what happened and let Alice be.  A week went by and Princess Alice was feeling much better, but small uprisings started happening in the kingdom and guard security was doubled.  "I think my daughter is finally starting to smile again," King Bard beemed. Alice smiled as she ate her supper; pasta with the best of sauce mixed with eccentric spices.

"Perhaps this week you could start your studies back up?" Queen Rosalind kindly suggested.

"Yes, I think I shall. I know I am behind and I would like to catch up, but please, no more Princes for awhile," Princess Alice begged. Her mother gave it a thought and nodded.

"Bu that doesn't mean-" the Queen was cut off by the Captain of the Royal Guard, who had barged into the room, throwing the big doors open.

"Captain, what's wrong?" King Bard asked, dropping his utensils.

"They're here, they've come for all of you!" the Captain shouted.

"Get Alice and the Queen to the safe room NOW!" King Bard barked to the royal guards as he stood and drew his sword.

"Mother, why are they doing this? Didn't we give them more ships and double the amount of crops like they wanted?" the Princess asked as she hurried out of the dining hall.

"Yes, but they won't stop until they have everything. Go faster or we'll be seen!" Queen Rosalind ushered Alice. There was a crash in the hall right in front of the safe room, causing Alice to scream and cling to her mother. The loud noise of the attackers could be heard from outside. "Alice listen to me," Queen Rosalind said as she cupped her daughter's face with her hands, "I have to stay to hold them off, but you must go. Do you understand?" Tears were streaming down Alice's face.

"I won't leave you! They'll kill you!" she sobbed.

"I will be alright," the Queen reassured Alice, "Please, take her to the passage in the library," the Queen instructed the battalion of guards as she pushed her daughter away.

"MOTHER!" Alice screeched as the nearest guard lead her away.

"Princess Alice, we must make haste!" the guard told her.

"BUT MY MOTHER!" Alice fought, trying to reach the Queen again.

"We must go!" the guard dragged her away towards another hall. They were almost to the stairs when the unmistakable sound of fighting broke out and a man dressed in dark green shoved his sword through the guards chest. Alice screamed and ran in the opposite direction behind the other guards. They fought with the green clad men, but to no avail; the guards were easily killed. Alice gasped when she saw the men coming for her and she ran up the stairs, making her way to the library. She barred the doors and went up another flight of stairs where she ran into someone hard and quickly backed away.

"Don't hurt me! Please," Princess Alice begged as she protected her face. She felt a hand clasp her wrist and slowly opened one eye.

"I'm not going to hurt you, I'm going to protect you my Princess."

"Captain?" Alice breathed relieved, "How did you-"

"They've broken into the other entrance and will be on our trail in minutes," the Captain of the Royal Guard explained as he led Alice toward an exit.

"What do we do?" Alice asked scared.

"Take the dumb lift down to the sewer, my horse is down there waiting for you," he informed her.

"What about you?"

"I'll meet you there," there was a loud bang as the green clad men broke through the library door, "Now go!" Alice did as she was told and followed the stairs to the stinky sewer. The Captain came rushing down the stairs minutes later and climbed up onto the horse.

"Take me to the farm on the hill, we'll be safe there," Alice instructed the Captain as she held on, scared that the green clad men would come rushing down the stairs for her.