Chapter 52

Later that evening was the Coronation Ball. As was the custom of all the realms, Alice danced with her father first. "You can relax now, he is going to be fine," King Bard said, following her gaze and noticing how tense his daughter felt in his arms.

"That won't stop me from worrying," she said, still looking at Derek, who was sitting among the knights clutching his chest and grimacing slightly any time he laughed. "I don't like seeing him like this in pain all of the time."

"I would say another two weeks and his insides will be fully healed," her father reassured her. Alice gave a small smile and bowed to her father, finishing that round of dancing.

"May I?" Alice smiled and happily accepted Jacob's invitation.

"Hopefully I smell better today," the newly appointed Queen joked. Jacob chuckled.

"I'm so used to it from the long days of training that I don't even notice it half of the time," he admitted.

"Well then, I'm glad I didn't completely gross you out and scare you away." Jacob grinned as he slightly blushed.

"Did you sleep well that night?"

"I did thanks to you. You know I wouldn't have asked, but I knew if I didn't that I wouldn't sleep at all," Alice explained herself.

"No, no it is quite alright. The Royal Guard housing doesn't exactly have the most comfortable of beds and the sheets aren't near as soft as yours. If anything, I felt very out of place being stuck next to you," Jacob told her.

"Since I'm now Queen and all, I have the ability to make some let's just say upgrades. How about I make that my first order of business?" she offered. Jacob's face lit up.

"You would do that?"

"Of course! After everything you've done for me I think it is only fair that I repay you and the others in some way."

"Fair enough," Jacob agreed and then bowed, ending another dance. Hue was next in line to dance with her.

"So, what does it feel like to be Queen?" he playfully asked.

"Honestly, right now it feels great, almost like nothing has changed at all. However, I did realize that I now have the power to make changes if I so desire," Alice answered. Hue nodded.

"You will be the greatest Queen yet and probably the last that will reign in my lifetime."

"Don't say that! You never know how long you will live and to still be in the guard at your old age, you're going to be the next Elder at this rate," Queen Alice reminded him. Hue shrugged. Alice's gaze was turned away when she saw the island dream stroll through the Grand Doors of the Banquet Hall with a man that highly resembled Hue. "Um Hue, I've never met your son and I have no idea what he looks like, but if I am not mistaken, that man looks a lot like you," she pointed him out. Hue followed her gaze and gasped.

"JOHN! MY LITTLE JOHNY!" Hue shouted above the music.

"Father?" John questioned. "It really is you!" he hugged him.

"Oh, my dear boy! I thought I would never see you again," Hue started to cry. Alice smiled at their manly embrace, but soon her eyes fell to the Island Dream. He caught her eye and smiled as he made his way to her. They immediately started dancing.

"So we meet again," he started.

"So we have," Alice smiled.

"Rumor has it you killed a man."

"I killed Prince Menace is what I did," she confirmed, "but at a price," she added sadly.

"He seems alright to me. A bit sore and still bandaged yes, but nothing to worry about," he reassured her. Alice stole a look at him and smiled when she saw him talking to Ryan. When she turned back, she was startled to see the pirate so close to her face.